TN: 2000 Jean Raphet Clos Vougeot Cuvée Unique

• 2000 Jean Raphet Clos Vougeot Cuvée Unique - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (11/10/2018)
    Popped and poured. Medium ruby color. Immediate nose of pine forest, red berry, stone, and faint floral scents. Bracing layers of integrated mulberry, red raspberry, and black cherry fruit on the palate cut with brier, iron, and stony elements. A bit of fade supervened after three hours. Softened tannin and freshening acidity lending balance, leading to a longer finish of grip, red berry, and brambles. Lovely showing for this wine, which may be at or just post peak. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I have always found Raphet wines a bit … coarse.

Kris

Appreciate the input. I think this was my second experience with this producer. I thought the bottle was very good, particularly considering the vintage. Not so much coarse as a tad bit dilute towards the end of the evening. Maybe I just got lucky.

Cheers,
Doug

This looks like a small plot of 100+ year old vines in Clos de Vougeot, so I’d imagine minimal intervention and new oak makes this a really good vineyard for Raphet. I’ve never had or seen this cuvee, and not surprised 2000 is drinking well.

Glad you enjoyed.

Is this definitely labelled Gérard Raphet - not Jean Raphet?
As far as I´m concerned 2002 was the 1st vintage with Gerard R. label … at least for the regular cuvées.
Gérard worked with his father Jean already in the 90ies and took over more and more of the responsibilities, but the label change was only in 2002.
Maybe this is a later release?

I don´t know this cuvée Unique, I suppose it´s for the US-market only, but identical to the Vieilles Vignes … but probably with 100% oak …

The style of Jean (labels up to 2001) was quite traditional with use of stems and not too much new oak (never had the impression of coarse, but always with a nice bite to it), but in 2002 Gérard used definitely more new barrels … (and maybe did destem more?) … however the 2002s are fine!

Gerard took over in 2002.

Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I believe that North Berkeley Imports uses the Cuvée Unique designation on many of the wines they select. I had several ‘02s from Raphet (NBI) years ago, enjoyed them and didn’t find them particularly oaky, and I’m not a fan of residual oak.

Gerhard,

You are absolutely right! Appreciate your expertise. My bad. I dug the bottle out of the recycle bin and the label says “Jean Raphet”, not “Gerard Raphet”. I have attempted to edit my original post to reflect this. The label does also say “Cuvée Unique”. I can’t say that I noticed a lot of oak on this showing.

Thanks, Paul and Frank, for chiming in also.

Cheers,
Doug

So everything´s cleared …
cheers [cheers.gif]