TN: 1999 Rauzan-Gassies, Margaux

Fortunately, Rauzan-Gassies has never become a critics’ darling. Therefore prices remain reasonable, at least in the context of today’s prices, given its lofty status as a Second Classified Growth.
As expected, the 1999 Rauzan-Gassies, with all its elegance and refinement, is just as compelling as the wonderful 2001 we had several times this year. The fabulous floral nose is alluring, with scents of wild herbs, licorice and leather. On the palate, layers of spice and red, black, and white currants, and almost all other fruits of the garden. The delicate fruit is exceptionally precise, and the classic freshness and purity of this wine is complemented by noble wood and vibrant acidity that suggest a long life ahead. 12,5 % alcohol.
Is there a greater pleasure than surrendering yourself to the magic of a superb claret at its peak?
Thanks, Santa Claus! :slight_smile:
1999-Rauzan-Gassies.jpg

Lovely note, Rudi. I have very little experience with Rauzan-Gassies; it isn’t stocked in most stores and is rarely talked about, as you say. Maybe I should do more digging.

I had a 2000 Rauzan-Gassies last Christmas day and thought it was elegant and drinking beautifully. Still somewhat tannic, but with good fruit, acidity, and good length. Lovely with our dinner of short ribs.

Yes man yes! Great note Rudi

I just had a 1999 Leoville Barton that was one of the loveliest wines I have had in months, also 12.5%.

Just picked up 2 more of these. Lovely lovely wine.

Indeed, somewhat tannic, and unfortunately, not quite as complex and refined as both the 1999 and 2001. An excellent wine nonetheless.

I went through a half case of the 2000, and indeed, it was a firm, grippy wine. But also rich and well flavored.

Presumably it only gets imported to the US in the good years, so at least over here, someone is filtering out the watery vintages.

By coincidence, I pulled a 2005 from the cellar to have sometime this winter, hopefully with some BWEers.

This estate doesn’t get much love from the interwebs.

I had this once, quite a while back (dinner at Ch. Prieuré-Lichine, 30th March 2010); and, my notes, though very brief, show that I well liked it:

1999 Rauzan-Gassies - I really like the balance and harmony of this wine. Medium-bodied, the smooth mildly earthy dark fruit, underlying fine tobacco and minerals, violets and cedar show remarkable harmony. Very nice performance the vintage notwithstanding.”

Interesting note. Thanks LMD!
I think 1999 is an underrated vintage…

Thanks for the note, Rudi. I cannot recalll if I have had this Chateau before. Cool label.

I believe '99 was good to margaux