TN: 1999 Grand Puy Lacoste and 2002 Leoville Barton

Opened the 1999 GPL Saturday and came back to it tonight (coravin). I wish I could go back in time and buy more this one… Love the currant bush green scents on the nose. Still holding on to a lot of fruit. If you have some of this, it’s drinking great, IMO. It showed a lot better than the 1994 GPL Saturday, which had really shed a lot of its fruit and had a pronounced menthol note on the nose that veered to eucalyptus – not unlike some older Aussie cabs get.

As for the LB, this is one of the better 2002s I’ve had in some time. Pretty nose with a faint bit of green and some cedar/sandalwood. Plenty of stuffing, nice mid-palate (often lacking in the vintage) and a solid ‘B’ finish. I think this one will get better – maybe a lot better. There’s plenty to like about this one… No rush here at all.

Jim - check out the recent thread on 02 LB, initiated by Julian Marshall, for comparative descriptions & assessments.

Love both of these wines. Good to see you positing here Jim

Yes, thanks for the note on the Barton. It’s getting quite a few airplay lately and I’m tempted of open one soon.