TN: 1999 Drouhin-Laroze Gevrey-Chambertin

A hint of light bricking on the rim, but a beautiful dark crimson core. A touch muted on the nose with iron, black cherry and violets. Not a blockbuster on the attack, in fact just a little muted black cherry fruit, but lovely texture on the mid palate with really nice crunchy acidity and tannic bite on the finish. A lovely showing for a 21 year old village wine, with plenty of life left for well stored bottles.

I’m always stunned at how long well-stored AC
red Burg bottles improve and last—and stunned at how critics’ windows are so narrow. Bet some critic said, “drink 2001-2004.”

I have some of the 2005 of this–bit of an atypical buy for me. During this phase they were pretty heavy on the oak end of things. The one bottle I’ve tried was–well–pretty heavy on the oak end of things. But I’m hopeful that time will heal all wounds, and I’m saving the rest for a while. Just an aside on the aging thing–a lot of estates treat their PC’s, village wines, and bourgognes the same. So I’m not always convinced that the aging curves are dramatically different at a serious estate.

A simply brilliant vintage from Bourgogne up Jud. Thanks for the note.

Deleted.