TN: 1999 Château Pavie (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

• 1999 Château Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (8/20/2010)
    Deep, deep color. Explosive nose. Nicely floral with violet and tobacco. The palate is quite round and ready, pleasurable, ripe. Dark, dark chocolate, faintly bitter, nice red fruit behind, dusty tannins but really melting away towards readiness. Some faint notes of oak, but the wine has really managed to drink up the heavy espresso and toast of its youth. Relative to most other recent vintages of Pavie this could be considered as ‘weak’, but this is still an awfully delicious wine. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

Eric

Thanks for the note on this - I just got a bottle ready to go and was wondering how it is drinking.

Jerry, I thought you were more of a Burg guy? If so this will be a bit of a candy bar for you…

One of my favorite elements of the wine, and I didn’t really capture it in the note, was that the bouquet could be smelled literally 2 feet away without even picking up and swirling the glass. It had me shaking my head for the whole evening. So even if you find the wine vile, it works nicely as ‘wine incense’… [cheers.gif]

Nice note and timely for me as I’ve been contemplating picking a few of these up. Any guestimate on a drinking window?

There was a prediction of doom for the 1999 which prompted me to open one of mine: http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?p=384589#p384589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I disagreed with the notion that this is on its way down and see no huge hurry. That said, the tannins are pretty melted, and this is drinking very nicely now albeit still with a lot of primary elements.

Thanks, Eric. I need to retrain my browser to make more use of this forum. Cheers.