TN: 1999 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Prapò (NOT CORKED!!!)

• 1999 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Prapò - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/14/2009)
    Attractive nose of anise, baking spices, and pungent, perfumey florals. Quite a dose of oak seemed prevalent on the nose when first opened, but blew off after about an hour. Very silky, great acidity, rich spices and a good, grippy mouthfeel (from the acidity more than the tannins, which are very slight, and dusty). The descriptive I came up with while enjoying this wine was ‘regal’. It’s no blockbuster, but it is wonderfully balanced, elegant, yet substantive enough to go with food (grilled cheese (swiss and cheddar) on sprouted wheat), and a finish that is also equally elegant and balanced, and long. I’m VERY pleased to have more of these in my cellar. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Bricco Roche has a bad rep for corked bottles?
The 04 Bricco Roche Barolo Brunate was being poured at a trade tasting and 2/3 were corked…

No, MY Barolo collection has a bad rep for corked bottles…

Todd,
I bought a 6 pack from WTSO but haven’t popped one yet.
Do you think this will get better with more btl age?
Thanx for the note!
Lou

I can see it getting better, but not long term. It’s so wonderful right now - I was pleasantly surprised.

Really? It’s hard to imagine a Serralunga wine not holding up and evolving a lot longer than 10 years.

I don’t consider 10 years that long for a Barolo - that seems totally within reason, but honestly, my opinion in this matter is completely worthless. Ask someone like Ken…he’d know.

Yes, you are wise now, Grasshopper.

I would try to hold off on drinking another for at least 5 years. Ceretto wines tend to drink well young, but age well. Last year I had 2 Cerettos from 1971 that were lovely.

Ken – I don’t have much experience with Ceretto’s wines. I’m curious whether you think the winemaking there has changed much over the past 20 years or so. They had a reputation of being in the first generation of modernists, but my vague impression is that they didn’t go to the extremes in oaking, roto-fermenting, etc. that some people did in the 90s and that the approach has been fairly consistent since the 80s. Is that a fair summary?

Yes, that’s my sense of Ceretto as well.