TN : 1997 Pahlmeyer Proprietory Red

Dropped down to the golf club for dinner last evening, and selected the 1997 Pahlmeyer Proprietory Red to accompany our meal of roasted breast of Brome Duck and a beef tenderloin. This blend of five grapes has fared extremely well over the past 17 years.

Extremely dark and youthful looking - black purple ruby extending out to an almost imperceptible rim; aromas flow effortlessly from the glass - penetrating and deep - cassis and a bit of blackberry, with a slight floral edge; rich and full on the palate, with round and ripe black currant flavours coming in layers; persistent to the finish then rests in a lively manner for an extremely long time. Hard to believe this wine is that old, but it has sufficient structure and oodles of fruit to last for another decade or more.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Great memory. I loved that wine.

Thank you for that note!

My son was born that year and I have some set aside, your note made me very optimistic.

Still a huge fan of their Merlot along with Beringer Bancroft, Paloma and Shafer…some of the best sub $100 wines in Napa IMO.

Thanks for the note; I still have some in the cellar.

Bruce

I believe that was the first year after Helen Turley left. My former law partner used to buy Pahlmeyer and I would take a bottle or two off his hands. Mine are long gone, but fondly remembered, especially the '94 and '95. I stilll have some '01 and '02 from when I finally signed up for the list myself. They were outstanding a few years ago, but I decided to let the rest of them sleep for a while.

Hank

Thanks for the note. I have this wine in my cellar.

Cheers.

PS: Proprietary…

Jay, I believe this '97 was made by Helen Turley.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Possible. I had the last Merlot she made at Pahlmeyer about 6 years ago and it was excellent, but I can’t remember for sure if it was '96 or '97