TN: 1997 Château Destieux (France, Bordeaux, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

• 1997 Château Destieux - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (8/29/2010)
    – popped and poured –
    – tasted non-blind over 2 hours –

NOSE: plums and black cherries; chalky spearmint; hint of leather; slight hint of malted chocolate; faint vegetal/oxidative note; expressive Nose.

BODY: medium-light bodied; medium-grained particulate matter present; purple-mahogany color of medium depth.

TASTE: plum and blackberry fruits; gentle oak on the medium length finish (30-38 sec.); finish is of medium intensity; alcohol is not noticeable; juicy; good acid; resolved tannins; smooth; fresh; clean wine; not over-concentrated or extracted; simple; pleasurable; seems to be in its prime drinking window now. Paired well with lamb rib chops.

B: 50, 5, 12, 15, 7 = (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I found this wine to be a great value. Showed best after probably 1-2 hours of airtime…

The 2000 is nice also.

Just based on the reputation of the chateau (solid, but not great) and the vintage (poor), I’m surprised at the 89 score. Nice find.

Chris

Nice note, you hit the nail on the head here. I grabbed a handful of these a month or so ago. At $20, it is a really great value in aged Bordeaux.