TN: 1996 Mayacamas Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

Apologies to Mr. Pobega and others.

• 1996 Mayacamas Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/17/2010)
    This wine tastes exactly like what it is: the anti-establishment Napa Cab. The long winding drive up the mountain only leads to a cluster of mailboxes; the visitor needs to know to turn left up yet another dirt road. There you’ll find a winemaker blissfully unconcerned with the trends, aging wine in old barrels (2% new oak each year) in a cellar covered with mold. This Cab is an anachronistic 12.5 ABV, and it has the recalcitrant character of its producer. The nose is not unlike an elegant Brunello, with loam-covered black cherry and waves of tobacco. As it breathes it picks up a menthol edge, and there is a bit of an herbal quality as well. In other words, it is unafraid and entirely beautiful. (from half bottle) (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

really a good vintage for Mayacamas. will last a long time in larger formats.

I have not had a Mayacamas in a very long time, and I have never tasted the 1996. Your excellent note describes a style of wine I like, and it has convinced me that I should revisit this producer soon. Thanks for posting.

Nice note, although not sure where the ‘apology’ originates… [swoon.gif]
I usually like older Mayacamas when they present themselves.