TN: 1995 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904 (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja)

• 1995 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904 - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (8/26/2012)
    This was awesome. Very much a puppy of a wine despite being 17 years old. Lots of fruit still in this wine, but loads of leather, dried underbrush, berries, and tree bark. Almost a cinnamon spice and all spice component that is really interesting. This also has a saline note on the finish, which I adore (especially when drinking this with some nicely seasoned lamb or beef). As far as weight and texture is concerned, this isn’t as lithe as Lopez de Heredia or even the Ardanza from the same wine maker. It’s closer in style to the CVNE Imperial…power and finesse wrapped into one complete package. This one isn’t cheap, but it’s 100% worth the price of admission.

Posted from CellarTracker

This wine is one of my favorites as well. Great notes Steffen!!

Great wine. Great Bodega.

Big fan

The 890 is also great.

You should try to find some of the older 904 and 890. I have the 1982 vintage for both, and they are fantastic. The 904 is mind-blowing.
I also found 6 bottles of the 1973 Vina Ardanza Reserva Especiale in Barcelona, one of the only three vintages of Especiale ever. The good bottles were mind-blowing, but two out of the four have madeirized. They didn’t use very good corks in those days…
I also found some CVNE Vina Real 1970. Excellent drink, and unbelievable price; less than what I would have to pay for all those years of storage alone.