TN: 1995 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard [Plus Screagle, Dom, Tomahawks, et al]

Ok admit that “Screagle” got your attention!

It’s the beer! No notes, but thought these were all really well made and was a nice start to the evening with charcuterie.

And then 2010 Dom Perignon. I’m with Fu on this, the 2010 Dom is much better (at least to me) than some others might suggest. Not at the levels of 2008 or 2002, but still quite lovely. Powerful mousse, crystalline yellow and white fruits, buttered croissant. (94 pts.) Followed this up with a Billecart Salmon bottling that I have not had, the Blanc de Blanc. Really good but hard to follow on the heals of that Dom. I’d buy this. Back to Dom, never ceases to amaze me the year-after-year quality of this wine notwithstanding the massive production. Had the 2008 a few weeks ago, just stunning in that vintage.

The show-stopper for me, hence the title, was the 1995 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard. From Magnum. I bought this from fellow Berseker @Karl_K like 5 years or so ago. I think he got it direct from Steve. Whatever the case may be, this bottle was so perfectly cared for and matured. I’ve also had it in a wine fridge untouched, waiting for the right time to pop it. Was gonna pop it a month ago when @ToddFrench was coming to town, but Hurricane Ian blew that up. Poetic that me and my boys kept our wine dinner last night irrespective of Hurricane Nicole that hit that day. We only had to change the venue. Decanted this wine for about an hour. Pitch black, brooding, and still a bit closed as I swirled it in the decanter. One would not guess this was a 27-year old California Syrah. No bricking at all. Once we dove in, this wine was wide open. Right in my wheelhouse. Big, meaty, briny, earthy, with wafts of black olive tapenade and herbs. A killer nose. Palate was quite similar, again a very meaty full-bodied presence with with good acids and structure. Predominantly a dark-fruit wine with big earthy feel. Big long chewy finish. Again, I cannot believe this wine is 27 years old. A hint of dryness picking up on the finish, so I still think these should be consumed, especially in 750. It’s funny that so many of us wanna call “this drinks like a French Syrah” when a California Syrah shows this well. Honestly, this wine is a creature of both camps. Can’t call California, cannot call France. But it is unabashedly Syrah. Exceptionally well made. Circled back later in the evening to have this with our Fred Flinstone ribeye tomahawk chops. A heavenly pairing. (94 pts.)

We had a mix of other wines, including a 2000 Barolo that I had not had before, and some elegant, mature Bordeaux that Berkerserker @Marc_Frontario brought. I will try to post some notes later, gotta get a contract done right now. Clients are hungry today, and momma gotta eat.

3 Likes

Nice work. Hurricanes be damned. Those mid-90s ESJ Durrells are some of my fave-ever CA Syrah. Fond memories. Wished I had more. The '95 is only bested by the '93 for me. At age 25 or so. Glad to hear the '95 is still kicking. And a maggie, too. That’s doing it right.

Excellent notes on a fabulous wine. I’ve had the 1995 at various stages of its 27 year life, and it has always impressed. The '93 (also from magnum) was the wine that made me an ESJ fan.

2 Likes

Fabulous note. Probably my favorite ESJ wine ever.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you are the guy that got me to try Edmund St. John in the first place. I’ve said this before, and I will say it again, every time I drink his wines I love them and yet, for some inexplicable reason, I don’t seem to buy them with any regularity. Any in particular that I should be seeking at this point?

One of the things about ESJ has been the ever changing vineyard sources, which leads to different wines - even if they are all recognizably ESJ.

Not sure how you would feel about a Mourvedre/Graciano/Grenache/Tempranillo blend, but the most recent incarnation of Steve’s red blend, El Jaleo, is sourced from Shake Ridge Ranch. It’s definitely ESJ, plus it has the best label ever!

I believe that Steve still has some 2014 Barsotti Ranch Syrah, as well as some 2015 North Canyon Road Syrah (Fenaughty/Barsotti blend) available. Different wines for sure than Durell, and in need of bottle age, but again they are clearly ESJ.

1 Like

Thanks for the ESJ note. I also own one of those bad boys. I got mine 10-12(?) years ago at the Rhone Rangers grand tasting in SF. There was a silent auction. I was the only person who bid on it! I paid $90 or $95. When I told Steve, he said “You stole that bottle!”

I’m going to open it on or around my 70th birthday in 2024.

1 Like

Screagle didn’t get me to open it - I open any thread by @Robert.A.Jr as a matter of principle!

Now I find out you poured a wine that was destined for me for some other, lesser individuals, and I wish I hadn’t opened the thread!

Sounds like that ESJ would have been fun blind - as long as the rest of the crew were wine geeks, it’s fun to trick them thusly. Any left for tonight? Might be fun to check in.

1 Like

Dude, my Orlando crew drinks as much as the W-P crew! There were no leftovers! Ever. #scandalous