TN: 1995 Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac

For the record, decant this thing. We basically did a P&P, which is a mistake, took an hour for this wine to really showcase.

And then it did.

Classic Pauillac. Wafts of lead pencil wood, dark cassis, dry earth, leather and tobacco. Lots going on with this nose. The palate density and breadth is sensational. Fruits showing more on the dark spectrum, but such depth and purity. Lots of earthy elements going on here. Some barnyard notes, saddle leather and dank tobacco leaf. Big structure to this wine. A prototypical Cab-based Bordeaux. Paired deliciously with rack of lamb and ribeye, both medium rare.

(95 pts.)

7 Likes

Nice work my man - Not a bad Saturday night! And…looks like you even risked some fairly delicate stemware! Extra tip of the cap for your bravery sir :wink:

1 Like

This is a good Mouton, not a great one.
Still a bit structured when tasted last December.
I prefer the 1996 slightly.

Indeed, big structure to this wine, but also the fruit and density to go a very long distance. I have not had the 96, but I do think it is a better vintage. The 96 Latour and 96 Ducru that I had last year were next level.

I hope to try this again one day. I remember buying a bottle of this (my first ever first growth purchase ~5 years ago) and it was corked ! One of only 2-3 bottles I’ve had in my life that were corked. Oh the luck…

1 Like