TN: 1994 Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Morisoli Vineyard

• 1994 Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Morisoli Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (11/16/2021)
    Cellared since release…last bottle of WHL in the cellar(tear). Just like the 95 was a couple years ago, this bottle is showing brilliantly! Deep youthful garnet/red plum color…intoxicating nose of pencils, cedar box, leather, wild berry jam…the fruit is still sweet and loaded with flavor…plum/cherry/blackberry/wild strawberry…silky smooth tannins, SO polished and seamless, yet still has a firm dusty(Rutherford dust!) spice to it for structure…youthful tart kick of acidity, though not as sour as the 95…a beam of brightness. Balance is perfect…subtle complexities of dark chocolate coffee bean, tobacco leaf, bayleaf, dried cranberry. Just LOVE these old school 90’s Cabs…they are almost always drinking top notch…and totally takes me back to when I first started falling in love with wine! So worth it just for that. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

You had me at Rutherford dust! I had this wine many, many years ago. None left. Thanks for the note. I remember many ‘94 Rutherfords that were wonderful and like $20-30. (BV Rutherford :slight_smile:).

That and the Leonardini Vineyard Merlot are great.

There was a Whitehall Lane Morisoli in my path…probably the '91. Good stuff.

Cheers,
fred

This is my birth year wine I had for my 21st birthday in 2015. I had been looking for this wine ever since as I loved it! Whitehall lane didn’t have it anymore and Elyse only had their Elyse bottlings from the 90s. I envy you, as I have been looking for this wine forever!

Well damn Zachary…just having some ribeye on a tues night…an impulse pull! My daughter turns 21 next week…so…you just made this bottle even more special! I raise a glass to you, and my daughter! [cheers.gif]

When in Noo Yawk, you should drop by my place, which has lots of the California 1994 vintage on the list, cheap.

Yes thank you! I’m glad it was still showing great! It was fantastic when I had it in 15. Make sure to pull a decent 2000 for your daughter next week!

1 Like

Will do sounds amazing!

Would this have been made by Gary Galleron? I believe he was the winemaker at WHL at that time. His 1994 Galleron label cabernet was fantastic!

These WHL Morisoli bottles do show up at auction. Looks like within last few months was available at Winebid for reasonable price.

1 Like

Birth year for me–sounds like I’ll need to find some '94 Cali cabs!

Several cases are traveling eastward from California during the next few weeks. [wow.gif]

1 Like

Let me know if you need help, would love to share some wines! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

2 Likes

winner winner chicken dinner

Just got a half case.

Yes Gary was the winemaker.

Had to revive this thread after finding two bottles of this in my cellar. Popped and gave it a half hour in the decanter. Opened up with blackberry, cassis, black cherry with hints of tobacco and dust. Medium + acid and some tannin holding on through the finish just starting to show some bottle aged flavors. So perfectly balanced I would have to say this cork did it’s job!

5 Likes

This was my intro bottle into fine wine when i turned 21 back in 2015. From then on i was hooked. Love that wine!

Is it my lack of knowledge that I am surprised a 1994 is holding up?