TN: 1990 Domaine du Jaugaret

• 1990 Domaine du Jaugaret - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/25/2020)
    Plum, blackberry, maybe a hint of sour cherry in the nose; on the palate a rounded presentation of the same favors, notable touch of acid, with a little green herb and mushroom leading into a not particularly long finish. (92 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Asimov wrote on this domaine, it turns out now, 10 years ago; I was offered some to backfill and I’m glad I went for it. Interesting, solid wine that could still age.
You can find Asimov’s piece here: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/dining/reviews/25Pour.html

I’ve had a couple of no-names from the 1990 vintage that rocked my wine-drinking world.

This looks to be one of those, but only difference is that this is like an Indie rock that’s been noticed by a known reviewer but still escaped everybody else.

Nice.

Yes, I love '90 as a vintage–I have to confess probably even more than '89, though I know that’s a little uncool. And these do remain unknown, tiny production, despite being reviewed. I can’t believe it was 10 years ago that Asimov wrote about them.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting that, Joshua, very interesting. This is one of those weirdo wines which are impossible to find. I tracked down some 2015 a few years ago but I’ve never seen it since.

I have a handful of bottles from 2010 and 2012 but have not tried one. Looking forward to it but wanna give them some time.

Yes, definitely give them more time,
I thought the '90 could have easily slept longer. I’m sure you will enjoy them when you get to them, though–no doubt your kiind of wine.

My first thought when read the original tasting note, a thought that continued as I enjoyed the Asimov article, was “isn’t this a Margaux and not a St. Julien?”

I have since figured out that I was thinking of Clos du Jaugueyron, a micro Margaux with, seemingly, a very similar name and a very similar story.

I’ve yet to actually come across a bottle of either (though at least I’ve by now acquired some BAMdA over the years and some Ferriere more recently), but I will be keeping an eye out.