TN: 1990 Château Pradeaux Bandol (France, Provence, Bandol)

• 1990 Château Pradeaux Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (3/26/2011)
    This was great. Dark fruited with plenty of gritty tannin still going strong among powerful acids. Almost like a darkly fruited Barolo. This will live a long time but I think the fruit is at its best right now. There was a strong spice kick to the last couple glasses after the bottle was open a couple hours. Terrific.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice to see a note on something fairly obscure, thanks. I recall tons of TNs 10 years ago about how bad these wines are. I bought a decent slug of the ’89 and ’90 VV back when the local shop had a bunch. I tried one young and what a dark, tannic, barky, hulk of a beastly wine it was. I beleie it needed a blender back then. So I stored it for nearly 20 years. Finally cracked the ’89 and ’90 VV in the last 12 mos and it remains one of the revelatory wines of the last few years. I slow O’d (just pulled the cork) for 24hrs. Unusual flavors in a good way, great depth, and those gritty tannins had really mellowed out. Still a bit there but just wonderful balance and finish. I think the slow O really fit this wine to a T. Great “wine geek” stuff here.

Nice to see notes on this wine. I still have a bottle or two of both the regular and the vv. Glad to see they are coming into their own. My experiences have been largely when the wine was 8-10 years old. Need to revisit and to slow o.