TN: 1989 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

Still brooding and dark, with dark brambly fruit, bloody meat, leather, earth, and a little herbal lift on the nose. Youthful for sure. It was a pleasure to pour this blind to two people who know and enjoy CdP and have them guess the vintage. Guesses were wildly off, and I would have been too. At first a little brett that blew off. Full bodied with power but no sense of heaviness, with great depth, palate presence and structure , and a great marriage of structure and balance. Deep and brooding, and more on the darker savory side of grenache with the Pegau stems adding an herbal savory side that improves the wine. Virile, a little wild, and very impressive, still with some chewy tannins on the back end. This is what I hope for in mature CdP. Extremely good stuff that drank as well day 4 as day one. Outstanding and early peak. 96 pts. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had it a few months ago, your note is spot on. I certainly like it better that the 90.

Love this one. It’s in my top10 of all time. Maybe top 5.

Then you missed out, I drank one with Phil recently. neener

Your note is spot on. I have 7 left to enjoy. I think as great a wine as this is now, it will improve in the next 3 or 4 years.

Thanks, as always, for the invite. At least I have one more left. And I think the last one I drank was with Phil.

I did invite you, but you didn’t want to fly down to Telluride to drink it with us. Next time lets do a 89/90 tasting.

Some of us are not gentlemen of leisure. Responsibility, it has been said, is the curse of the middle class.

And I’m game for an 89/90. I even have one 88.

Try to look at the bright side of your life, you have a great wife, cute kids and a father who could have been on Seinfeld. A lot of people don’t have that so stop being bitter.

Meantime we’ll need your 88 too, you know Phil won’t step up. champagne.gif

Thanks for the note. I have 3, but haven’t opened one. FWIW, I really enjoyed the 1990, so I am looking forward to trying this one.

I will if Pegau is involved. [drinkers.gif]

Yea, sure. [popcorn.gif]