TN: 1983 Château La Lagune (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

• 1983 Château La Lagune - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (10/31/2018)
    From magnum this was drinking very nicely. It had plenty of freshly polished boot leather to the aroma and a touch of cedar, graphite and tobacco. There’s still a core of briary fruit and whilst structural elements are all but neatly tucked into the wine its still has a little bit of chew and is very fresh. Not particularly deep or long, but nicely balanced luncheon Claret that we enjoyed immensely for dinner.

Posted from CellarTracker

I like this wine a lot. Not “impressive,” but very engaging.

I have not had the '83, but La Lagune had a great run in the '80s. I’ve recently had a couple of '86s that were excellent, and last few years, a killer '82 and lovely '88. Just grabbed some more '86. Like Meyney from this era, this is the essence of Bordeaux to me. Classicly made wines, mature, that did not cost much and never tried to create a wine above the pedigree of their own terroir.

Thanks for the note, Jeremy.

Thanks for the note Jeremy. If you ever come across the 85 La Lagune, it’s in a great place now. Still shows the 85 charm.

I went through a half dozen bottles of the 85 La Lagune in the 90’s and it was, as others have said, not necessarily profound, but delicious. Along with the Cordier wines of 80’s, my gateway drug to Bordeaux.

Sounds as though it is in a similar mould to the 2000, which is lovely mid weight drinking, not awine for those who seek heft and ripeness.
'83s can be delicious when on and a good buy at auction.

Don’t miss the 83 Cantemerle if you trip over it too.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7459

I’ve always felt La Lagune is one of those wines that captivates you over a dinner by itself, but gets drowned out in a panel style tasting.

Another 83 going strong.

Wow, killer night!

Here is my note on the '83 Cantemerle from last year:

1983 Chateau Cantemerle
Lovely. Pretty. Classic. Could not have asked for a cleaner bottle of this mature beauty. Cork pulled cleanly, really ready to go on pop and pour. We decanted it but dove straight in. A lovely Bordeaux funk, forrest floor and dried fruits. Mid-weight, perhaps lighter, on the palate, but a really refined sense of a classic claret. Nice array of dried red fruits framed by old barnwood. Paired so nicely with a tray of charcuterie. Everything in such balance. This is my type of Bordeaux. By the way, it had a Cordier sticker on the back. That surprised me, did not recall that Cordier once owned this Chateau. (91 pts.)