TN: 1982 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Late Harvest

• 1982 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Late Harvest - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (3/23/2024)
    Time to cull the cellar of old bottles with low expectations. Today it’s this ‘82 Dry Creek Late Harvest Zinfandel. Acquired this in a cellar sale along with a case of other preserved wines, most of which drank real well. The fact that this was a late harvest left some hope. 42 years young.
    Cork was filthy on top but not soaked. The wine stain crept up about 2/3 the way. Decanted through cheesecloth and let it air for an hour.

Color was brown, first whiff was rough, Madeira, stewed prunes and alcohlol. The 16.5 on the label was on point. Gave it an hour in the glass. It was very viscous, creamy and sweet. Cherry pie filling, strawberry rhubarb, syrupy, Madeira, heat and just a hint of chewy tannin on the finish. Surprisingly still alive despite the age. Upon opening I was ready to dump it out, now a few (5) hours later I’m going to wash out the bottle, double decant and save the remainder for tomorrow. Nice dessert addition. I can also see it making a delicious sauce for a filet. Was a fun follow.

Posted from CellarTracker

7 Likes

Some of those old Dry Creeks aged really well. The '87 Merlot was drinking really well around 2020-2021.

1 Like

Good stuff my friend! I dont think ive had a Dry Creek this old. Thanks for posting! :cheers:

1 Like