TN: 1982 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

• 1982 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (2/27/2010)
    Always an otherworldy experience. Tobacco, mint, blood and cranberry. Textbook nose. Supple and wonderful palate but a little more acidic than normal. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

My benchmark all-time favorite Bordeaux. Now, if only I bought more back in 1986 for $25 [swoon.gif] [cry.gif]

My $25 bottles are all unfortunately gone as well.

This has been an unusual Bordeaux for me. The first bottle I ever had not long after release was the best-a knockout, sexy, seductive wine that would have gotten anyone on the planet hooked on Bordeaux. Each bottle since has shown a gradual fade from this experience–never a shut down period, but just a fading of the inital charms, like an aging beauty queen without her makeup. Highly unusual for Bordeaux to behave this way, but I guess 82 was an unusual year.

Perhaps it was my bottles, but I’ve heard similar experiences from others.

I am envious, Eric - one of my “reference point” Bordeaux drinking experiences.

Also one of my greatest and most favorite wines of all time. A really special wine.

Ditto. One of those wines whose taste stays with me though I haven’t opened on in probably 10 years.

I still have two bottles, which I bought for $19 on release. at Robert’s in Woodside, Calif. Sounds like it’s time to crack one.

+1

I’ve gone through many of these, at least half of them ex-château. While some bottles were better than others (there actually seems to be a material bit of variance here, but not to the extent as, say, '86 Mouton), none were less than good.

The best ones were impeccable/outstanding specimens of red wine - I don’t know about “100 points”, but they were pretty much as good as Bordeaux can get in my experience. When it’s “on”, oh boy.

Eric - a celebratory bottle?
Great choice if so I must say!