TN: 1982 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

• 1982 Château L’Evangile - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (8/29/2012)
    At first impression…Wow. A hugely perfumed nose. Haunting. Deep and opulent and still quite youthful. Black olives, plum, asian spice, dark chocolate, and graphite, but words don’t really capture it. A near perfect nose. Full bodied with brilliant texture, with loads and layers of flavor. Still primary fruit with secondary complexity, but not losing any fruit. Rich but not heavy. Probably the best Bordeaux I have had in a couple years. Incredibly well balanced, very long, and drinking at a glorious peak. Stunning. 98pts (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Admittedly I have drunk a lot less Bordeaux of late, but bottles like this make me wonder why. Complicated, incredibly pleasurable, and stunning wine by any yardstick.

Gosh! This one can be utterly stunning! Nice note.

Admittedly I have drunk a lot less Bordeaux of late, but bottles like this make me wonder why. Complicated, incredibly pleasurable, and stunning wine by any yardstick.

I agree. Have no more but I do have a few from 89 and 90. It is, or rather it was, one of my favorite wines. Just great stuff when it’s on.

And it was always a bit pricey. Today, it’s stupid pricey. Great wine still, but $400?

Nope.

This is an outstanding wine, and the 1985 L’Evangile for that matter!