TN: 1982 Château Laville Haut-Brion Blanc (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

• 1982 Château Laville Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (5/31/2014)
    Mildly exotic aromas with plenty of freshly cut pear, some rockmelon, apricots and a drizzle of honey. There is also a scent of beeswax. Fresh and lively in the mouth with a sweet core of fruit and a taste reminiscent of custard apple. There’s some toast and mushroom development sneaking into the flavour profile and some fruit rind bitterness coupled with a squeeze of lemon juice gives a slight tartness to the finish. Length of flavour was super and this was an excellent bottle drinking at the top of its game.

Posted from CellarTracker

Laville Haut Brion (now La Mission Haut Brion blanc) is a fascinating wine and one that is so unique that it is not hard to pick out blind: it often tastes like a Sauternes without the sweetness!

Not many 32 year-old wines could hold their own this way…

All the best,
Alex R.

Cool note! I have an '88 pulled from storage to pop at an upcoming dinner.

Got a case of the '98 in deep storage for another decade or so!

Alex,

I don’t drink a lot of white Bordeaux but this was splendid. I have a 1958 in the cellar also whose colour looks good. What should I expect from a 50 year old version of this wine?

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy,

If memory serves me right, I had this very same vintage served blind to me in 2005. I guessed the estate, but was off a decade as to the vintage. The wine will be thinner, but still with bright lemoney acidity. Still, you would do well to uncork it in 2014…

Alex R.

I brought a 1983 to a local restaurant about ten years ago and the staff looked at me very strangely. I don’t think they had seen a white wine that old (not really that old!). It was great.

This is fantastic stuff. I had a bottle of 1990 that just rocked my world. Thanks for this note Jeremy.