TN: 1979 San Martin California 'Burgundy ' - Magnum

Well ill be damned! I thought this would be dead and gone but it was not! I always take stabs at old CA 'Burgundy ’ at auction when the price is right, as I’ve found that they often time over-deliver. I picked up this magnum for super cheap with very low expectations (I mean the label literally calls it ‘premium generic wine’, ha!), but when the cork came out in excellent shape and the wine poured a light reddish color with some slight browning and a nose full of cherries, spice, and autumn leaves, I got a little more excited. In the mouth, this is actually really good! Not even just interesting…but good! Black cherries, tart cranberry, a tiny bit of smokey leather, and a (believe it or not) slightly tannic finish! More than enough acidity and I’m loving the 11% abv! No idea what this wine is or was intended to be…but I highly doubt the winemaker was thinking ‘I hope this drinks well 45 years from now’ , ha! Cheers to nice surprises and those fun nights when the wine Gods smile down upon you when you probably don’t really deserve it!

12 Likes

1 Like

Nice find Rich! I don’t think I’ve had any wines from them but in some old books they are said to make “Sound, pleasing wines” It looks like around that time they made Cabernet, Gamay, Grignolino, Pinot, Petite Sirah, Ruby Cabernet and Zinfandel for Reds. So maybe a cool blend of some or most of those?

That’s awesome Matt - really appreciate the additional context! And I would agree, this was def a ‘sound, pleasing wine’…even at 45 years old, ha! :cheers:

1 Like

You need a “Premium Generic Wine Lover” T-shirt!!

1 Like

Ha ha! That’s amazing - literally laughing out loud. I’d rock that for sure! Maybe even a bumper sticker :wink:

1 Like

It can be yours, if you dare.

1 Like

Skipping protocol…

1 Like

Ha ha ha! I debated betwen that one and Billy Madison. Well played my man :cheers:

1 Like

Here’s a link to the text of an application for the San Ysidro AVA from noted historian of wines and vines Charles Sullivan. It has some history on San Martin winery. It’s a good read!

1 Like

Wow, that is absolutely fascinating! What a cool read - thank you so much for posting! Where did you even find this at?

1 Like

Hi Rich,

I Googled San Martin Winery 1970 and this is what came up. I have read Charles Sullivan’s work in the past, but didn’t realize he worked on these sorts of documents. I wonder if there is this much historical information available from most AVA applications? I tried looking for the Chalone AVA application but did not find it. Morgan Peterson would likely know!

1 Like

P.S. Here is a link to the ATFTTB site. It includes a “reading room” of AVA applications. Very interesting! The Chalone application is written by the late Richard Graff and includes a little history, and great descriptions of boundary lines. AVA Online Reading Room | TTB: Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau

1 Like

I think most do include quite a bit of history to show that the area is known and the grape growing or wine styles are distinctive and have a history in the region, that the name is in use etc.
I think this is the Chalone petition - https://www.ttb.gov/media/68690/download?inline - The owners of Paul Masson fought against it being named the Pinnacles and so it was changed to Chalone.

Patrick Shabram does a lot of the petitions now for potential AVAs. - TTB Treasury Decisions (Patrick L. Shabram)

1 Like

Matt,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. It’s nice that the AVA petitions also serve as a short history lesson for posterity!

1 Like