TN: 1978 and 79 Mayacamas Cabs

Had the pleasure to taste two vintages of Mayacamas this past weekend. To be honest at first I didn’t know what all the noise was about with older vintages of Mayacamas, now I get it. Holy COW!!!

1978 - Deep / dark mahogany core. Not much bricking surprisingly and still fresh. Aromas of ground coffee, cassis, toasted oak and leather compliment the dark red fruits. Still very much medium to full bodied and very very impressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if this wine goes another 20 years

1979 - Similar color to 1978 with a dense dark core. This was surprisingly even fresher than the 1978. Just a stunning bottle of wine. Similar nose with coffee, nutmeg and spices filled out by some beautiful dried herbal notes. The fruit is still very much there. How it still drinks so young I have no idea but I am impressed. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a California Cab pre-1980s that still has this much life.

While the 1978 was brilliant, I think the 1979 might have taken the cake this time around. I have a couple more bottles luckily but will be looking for more!!!

8 Likes

great notes. mayacamas from this era is as good as it gets.

1978 Mayacamas Cab is one of best of all time CA Cabernets, up there with '68 Monte Bello, '77 Monte Bello, some great BVs, and some other Monte Bellos. Sensational wine! Glad to hear it’s holding up well.

I still remember a 1976 mag from 17 years ago, it was all cherries and leather. I would not be surprised if it was even better today.

76 is still smoking—as are several other 70s vintages I’ve tried in the last couple of years—70, 73, and 74 for sure. And vintages you might not expect like 81 pretty awesome as well. Bob made seriously good juice!

1 Like

IIRC they were sourcing the Cabernet fruit from a vineyard on Spring Mountain during this period, a site not that far from where Togni planted…

2 Likes

…and Heitz, Chappelet, Conn Creek Eisele…

Great notes, Alex. Maybe the most impressive Cali cab I’ve ever had was a Mayacamas from the mid-late 60s (sorry can’t remember exactly!) about 15 years ago. A friend opened it for me, blind, and I remember wondering whether to guess 59 or 61 Latour.

More recently I enjoyed the 83, which was also just stellar.

The only downside is they take FOREVER to come around.

The property is awesome too, way up on the mountain. Requires a real commitment to get there - def not recommended after multiple winery visits!