TN: 1976 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru

1976 Domaine des Varouilles – Gevrey-Chambertin – Clos des Varouilles 1er cru

Bottle number 2485, a pristine private purchase. A deep Burgundy red with some bricking at the rim. Delicate pot pourri nose with hints of dried red fruits like cranberries. The savoury palate is very dry, still showing some tannins. This four-square velvet wine is ready to drink now, though I will hold my remaining bottles for a few more years to see how they turn out.

Bottle of 1976 Gevrey-Chambertin - 1er Cru
Imgur

Main label of 1976 Gevrey-Chambertin
Imgur

Pristine fill level
Imgur

My glass of 1976 Gevrey-Chambertin
Imgur

'76 was one heck of a tannic vintage it seems. Yeah, give them some more time, that’s what I’m doing. After all, they’re only 37 years old now… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the note. I believe I still have a bottle or two still around and I think a Charmes as well.

The 1976’s are getting into a drinking zone now. They are firm still but can be quite nice. Thanks for this note Nicos.

Paul,
It’s wines like this that make me hesitant about buying tannic (e.g. 2005) recent Burgundy vintages! I know winemaking styles, etc have changed, but still.

Eric, my pleasure.

Don, how are you? Always a pleasure to hear from you. Interesting, I drank a 1976 Cote-Rotie a few days ago. Another tannic vintage and that was drinkinbg well!

Thanks Nicos. I am doing very well. That Cote Rotie sounds really nice.
My best to you and all the others in London.

Don, thank you for your wishes. I know we both enjoy mature Rhones, amongst other wines. :slight_smile: