TN: 1975 Château La Tour Blanche Sauternes (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes)

• 1975 Château La Tour Blanche Sauternes - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (12/6/2013)
    From .375 ml. Still drinking tremendously well. Surprisingly lighter in color for age, a medium golden. Great acidity to balance the sweetness. Apricots, orange zest on the palate. An excellent wine with at least a decade of life left. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for this TN, John. Another example of just how ageless so many of them are. Haven’t tried this, but did have the chance to look at 1975 D’Yquem over 2 days a couple of years ago in Atlanta. First night:

“Deepest amber colour. Pure creme brulee—pure—in the bouquet. Little zips of coconut very deep underneath. Ginger beer spiciness in the mouth, it’s very…not stripped…but “efficient”, all the focus of apricot and date and still with cloves. It also has terrific lemon rind acidity too. A delight, with a touch of maple syrup at the back. Don feels this showed well, but not as well as some of the best bottles of this he’s had.”

The remainder of the wine did not budge from these notes the second night.

Skal,

Mike

Sounds wonderful, was able to have a 1970 La Tour Blanche a few years ago that performed very well.

LTB is an excellent property that performs extremely well. I have bottles of both the '89 and '90 that are still very youthful. Back 14 years ago when I turned 40, I opened a number of Sauternes from my birth year 1959, and the LTB was fabulous and still going very well. If I had a bottle of it today, I’m sure it would still be great.