TN: 1971 Fontanafredda Barolo Lazzarito Vigna la Delizia (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 1971 Fontanafredda Barolo Lazzarito Vigna la Delizia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/24/2016)
    Very weird bottle with a tapered neck ON THE INSIDE that narrows as it gets away from the opening, a little bit like the top of a cone. Hence the cork comes out very easily - at first I thought it had broken in two but the entire cork came out.

We decanted and gave it about 15 minutes of air before dinner. It had all the aspects of a Barolo but it was over the hill with oxidation accompanying a brownish red color that was a bit more brown than red. However, I do not think it was dead and there was a lot of fruit to go with the creosote and the forest mushroom. There were also some sherry flavors from oxidation. I wonder whether the unusual tapered neck made for a bad seal. It was, after all, 45 years old. There’s also significant acidity in this wine that gives it a citrus component. This wine was interesting and I’m glad to have tried it, but I would not spend money for it again.

Posted from CellarTracker