TN: 1968 Inglenook Charbono. Really Special

I looked around but I don’t think I took a photo. Wish I had. Or kept the bottle.

Thank you! I’ll be on the lookout.

Thank you, Dan. I am going to start hunting.

No problem buddy! Thanks for looking!

Yep, that’s the one!

I love rediscovering Berserkers’ tasting notes of important older bottles!

I couldn’t find a better thread to post this information on the role of Charbono in California wine history, so…here we are!

Hogshead
“Charbono: From the ‘Vinous’ 1883 H. W. Crabb to the ‘Earthy’ 2009 Calder Wine Company”

by Aaron Nix-Gomez
January 16, 2014

"…In 1884 the origins of Charbono were clarified in the Second Annual Report of the Chief Executive Viticultural Officer. It was stated that Charbono, sometimes spelled as Charbonneau, came from Jura together with Trousseau and Poulsard. The leading name was Corbeau and it was imported by Mr. Drummond under the synonym Plant de Montmelian. It was felt to dominate blends so it was not as flexible as Zinfandel and its future probably lay ‘to making of light cheap table clarets.’

"…Charbono continues to appear in viticultural reports for decades. Inglenook has long grown Charbono, Gustave Niebaum reportedly brought root stock over shortly after founding Inglenook Vineyards in 1879. In 1941, A. M. & J. Solari of New Orleans sold a variety of wines selected by Frank Schoonmaker, including the wines of Inglenook.

"…Some 100 years after Inglenook was founded the estate created a Charbono Society. At the first dinner held in December, 1981, it was noted that there were only three other producers: Papagni Vineyards, Parducci Vineyards, and Souverain. After a flight of recent vintages Inglenook reached deep producing bottles back to 1941. The 1941 had ‘both elegance and flavor and a pleasant, almost cedar like, nose.’ The 1959 had ‘a marvelously developed bottle bouquet replete with complexity. Its flavor was clearly evident and it was elegant, aged in a soft, generous, easy-to-drink style that was a light.’

“I recently found myself down in McLean, Virginia so I stopped by Chain Bridge Cellars where I happened to spy the 2009 Calder Wine Company Charbono. At $30 per bottle I was exceeding my typical purchase price but I rarely come across bottles of Charbono. Summers Estate Wines reports there are 80 acres planted in California. I was fortunate to taste the 2009 Summers Estate Wines Charbono last year which I found full of ‘old-school flavors.’ The bottle from Calder drank best on the second night. It was an incredibly approachable wine being billowy, meaty, and earthy. I did wish it had a bit more verve but the flavors were so different I kept thinking of 19th Century California…”

The following article provides a snapshot of Charbono’s status in the early 2000s: vineyard acreage & growers, producers of varietal wines, etc.

Wine Business Monthly
“Charbono: A Grape Struggles to Avoid Extinction”

by Patricia Savoie
May, 2003

"…The last annual dinner of The Charbono Society took place on April 1, 1989 at the Inglenook Winery in Napa Valley. One hundred aficionados in black tie worked their way through a seven- course meal and drank their way through cases of Inglenook Charbono from 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1984. Perhaps they suspected that the society was near its end; perhaps not. The society had been held together by the dedication of Inglenook winemakers and of others like John Parducci, who also made a Charbono for several years. After the Inglenook winery, vineyards and name were sold, the 35 acres of Charbono that it owned or contracted from slowly shrank as more popular varieties were planted to satisfy evolving American tastes and trends.

“To say that a single winery is responsible for a grape and wine might seem presumptuous. But in the case of Inglenook, the winery had an influence on a large number of the current Charbono makers and was responsible for the survival of many of the current vineyards. It also created an avid, dedicated group of Charbono connoisseurs, all who have their favorite Inglenook Charbono story. Scratch a Charbono lover and you will most likely find an Inglenook experience.…”.

According to the Wine Business Monthly article, there were only 65 producing acres of Charbono in the US around 2003.

One interesting fact: Wines from the Frediani family’s ancient Charbono vines were made by Paul Smith and Mary Sue Frediani’s OnThEdge Winery. Mary Sue’s mother Jeanne Frediani was convinced to sell them some fruit.

Mud City Weekly from Calistoga Tribune
“Heitz Family’s Dedication in Telling World About Charbono”
(PDF download)
by Tony Poer
August, 2014

2 Likes