TN: 1968 Inglenook Charbono. Really Special

Is that vineyard the one next to Swanson? I used to enjoy the “Leapfrogmilch” (in the late '90s/early 00’s), initially as it was a hilariously clever name for a wine, but was a delicious, sweeter CA white.

Good on your dad for getting some classic juice! I have yet to taste a Charbono that moved me, but my sample size has been tiny.

I had a magnum of 1986 Inglenook Charbono in July of last year, and it was fantastic, one of the most notable wines of the year for me. I think I bought it for $40-50.

Thanks to the Wayback Machine from the Internet Archives, I was able to access this 2019 article on Napa Charbono…

SF Chronicle (archived)
“The Fight to Keep Alive Charbono, Napa’s Nearly Extinct Heritage Grape”

by Esther Mobley
June 26, 2019

"…For decades, Inglenook alone kept most of Calistoga’s Charbono vineyards in business. The Heitzes, who had been supplying Inglenook with Charbono since Prohibition, ripped out all their other grapes in favor of Charbono in 1987 at Inglenook’s request. That same year, expecting a steady customer in Inglenook, Tofanelli planted Charbono for the first time in his family’s 90-year-old vineyard. But by 1996, with Inglenook out of the Charbono game, both farmers were scrambling to find buyers for their crop.

“Eventually they both started making the wine themselves, and the Tofanelli and Shypoke Charbonos are two of the best examples available…”.

Yeah, just up the street from Swanson. I think it’s been ripped out recently, but it was a funky old vineyard. If you’re able to track it down, Jake Stover of Sans Wine Co. made a varietal Riesling from that vineyard quite recently, and it was really good! The wine was canned rather than bottled, so I’m not sure if it’s still available. The old Leapfrogmilch wines were pretty fun–I actually tasted the 1997 (which was 88% Chenin, 12% Riesling) the other day and it was still humming along and very fresh! We definitely left in a tiny bit of RS to keep things thematic.

Another bulletproof wine is the 68 Mayacamas Late Harvest zin. Very hard to find but a delicious, probably immortal wine! Let me know if if you’re ever in AZ (post COVID) and I’ll open one with ya! [cheers.gif]

Thanks Rich, it’s always fun to have folks try the wine! My versions definitely trend toward the lighter side of the grape, especially the 2016. The forthcoming '17 has a little more stuffing. My bottlings from 2013 onward use fruit from the piece in Rutherford that we planted, and I have a bias toward them. The '13 is tasting really nice right now, still youthful. I don’t know whether they’ll ever reach the heights of wines made by John Daniel, but a guy can dream, right?

The grape’s had a bit of a renaissance in recent years, which has been great to see. The avg. price per ton in Napa has gone from $1900/ton in 2011 to nearly $4000 last year–a very good thing if excellent grower-producers like Shypoke and Tofanelli are going to continue to be successful with the grape.

And yeah, safe to say it’s not hard to find thirsty folks when you’ve got an old bottle of Inglenook open! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Oh man, a well stored magnum must have been crazy-good! Love that Chris! You have any pics by chance?? Would love to see what a maggie looks like.

Love the post and happy you had such a great bottle as I’ve also enjoyed some really good stuff from them. Most recently, I had the:

1968 INGLENOOK CASK H-12 CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- I purchased this earlier in the year from a friend who had acquired it soon after release so I knew the provenance was good and with no signs of a cork push, good color and high neck ullage, I hoped we had a viable bottle and it was just that and more; the color was a red purple with maybe hint of bricking; the nose had dark ripe fruit which on the palate was black currant, blackberry and plum with accents of leather and earth; it was full bodied with nice depth and most amazing, it actually became more expressive with time.

Cheers,
Blake
6B934776-0842-46B3-BE90-C608330C6D7B_1_201_a.jpeg

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the feedback! I’ll see if I can’t get my hands on a 13 and will definitley report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great looking bottle, and as always, an amazing note Blake! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

By the time I get to Phoenix…

Srsly, though, thanks! I hope to be able to take you up on that.

'68 was a good year in CA. I’ve had quite a few great wines.

I read in a few articles online that the 1968 Inglenook Charbono was the wine that inspired (then 16-year-old) Robert Foley to become a winemaker.

Yep, someone commented the same thing on my insta! Pretty awesome and just makes it that much more of a special experience!

That is one terrific story. If my memory is not completely shot, I believe the guy who was an assistant winemaker for John Daniel at Inglenook continued to produce a Charbono for a number of years under a different label after John sold Inglenook. Charbono was this guy’s favorite grape.

Maybe John Richburg who started Bayview Cellars decades ago?

I had this wine, but probably ~20 years ago. I remember it was wonderful, but my recollection is hazy.

Patrick,

1968 was a very great year for red wines in the Napa Valley. Obviously they are now

1. thin on the ground, and
  2. a risk, regardless of provenance or anything else. Not many 50 year old dry wines can be a safe bet.

But there are still bottles out there and the best can be as wonderful as the bottle Rich just enjoyed.

Dan Kravitz

I was privileged to be a guest at a tasting where several 1968 birth year friends celebrated their 50th birthdays and Mike Grammer’s notes from the tasting can be found at TNs--Mike on Mini-Tour---the "50th party" day, Atlanta---visit with Anthony at PH Wines and 1968 at Randy & Cris' - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers. Napa and Spain are where I would look first for 1968s, the Unico is spectacular if just shy of the greatness of the 1970

Very cool post - I hosted a “DOA” wine dinner a couple years ago where participants could bring wines that they had held on to but weren’t sure they were still alive. We have some fun surprises (and some duds) in the line up, although most of the wines didn’t go back further than the early 80s. I have had some great old school Napa Cabs at 40+ years of age and when they are on it’s such a delight.

That’s a great idea - pretty sure most people have at least a few bottles in the cellar that they fully expect to be total shot.

And I 100% agree on older Napa cabs. I’m a 1980 birth-year (def not known as the greatest vintage) and more often than not I’ve been pleasantly surprised when opening a bottle.