TN: 1968 - 1970 Louis Martini Merlot, Edge Hill Selection

It’s always fun to pop an older Louis Martini wine and I was especially excited about this Merlot since it carried the ‘Edge Hill’ designation. The cork was in great shape and when it poured an incredibly beautiful light red color with very little bricking (tried to get a few pics but they don’t do it justice), I know we were in business. On the palate this was truly stunning, and the words ‘etheral’, and ‘pretty’ immediately come to mind. It’s light bodied and just bursting with cherries, herbs, violets, and a hint of sweet leather on the long, acidity filled finish. Honestly, I would be SHOCKED if anyone drinking this blind would call it anything other than aged burgundy/pinot. What an absolute treat and everything that I was hoping for and more. I was able to score one more bottle of this at auction and already have my fingers crossed that it shows as well as this one did!

9 Likes

Wow…you have such great luck with these old dudes! Any more info on the Edge Hill? Bravo!:clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know -

1 Like

I have definitely had some solid W’s lately…but they’re for sure not always aces! I just don’t post on the bad ones very often, ha!

I’m for sure no @TomHill (who probably has some better context), but ive had quite a few of the more recent Edge Hill Estate wines after the Rudd’s took over the property, but from what I’ve read, it was a historic vineyard back in the day. Here’s an article from Wine Spectator after it was purchased from Joel Gott - Joel Gott Wines Buys Napa's Historic Edge Hill Winery

1 Like

@Rich_Brown you’ve got to start playing the lottery with how lucky you are with these aged bottles… Sounds amazing :rofl::rofl:… Cheers brother

Ha ha! No kidding man! I have been on a pretty good roll lately (knock on wood)!

I do need to start posting on some of the duds though, because they are most DEFINITELY not all aces, ha!