TN: 1966 Mosel – 27 Aug 2012

TN: 1966 Mosel – 27 Aug 2012
As it was a Summer Bank Holiday (Public holiday) in England, I thought I would open a nice white. What to choose? Well, after some consideration, I settled for a 1966 German white from the Mosel.

1966 Bernkastel-Jueser Kardinalsberg – Naturrein (Mosel, Germany)
Bottled and imported by OW Loeb Company Ltd, then based at 15 Jermyn Street, London SW1. My god friend and fellow Grand Cru Player Mr White helped me source a few bottles of this rarity. We drank the first one together two months ago, this was the second bottle. Excellent condition, popped and poured. The colour is deep yellow, verging on light gold. The nose has an initial whiff of sulphur which blows off after a couple of minutes to reveal delicate white flowers, mint and a hint of sweetness. The mouthfeel reminds me a tad of eating barely ripe honey dew melon. The length is fine but forgettable. Overall, it’s almost remarkable to be drinking a 46 year old low level pradikat German white wine bottled by a UK wine merchant (still in business and still selling German wine, amongst others) and finding a pleasure. Bravo Mr White!

Excellent condition of the 1966 Mosel
Imgur

Close-up of main label
Imgur

Right side view of main label
Imgur

Neck label
Imgur

Capsule
Imgur

My glass of 1966 Mosel
Imgur

While I can’t offer any comments re: the specific wine, I can say unequivocally that one of life’s real pleasures is opening a nice bottle of wine on a “work holiday”. I will be taking a personal holiday this Friday, and I’m sure when I pull that first cork around Noon that it will be 5:00 p.m. somewhere [cheers.gif] .

Bob,
Enjoy your bottle this friday, and make it a good one. Cheers!

The Kardinalsberg is really not a famous vineyard: Weinlagen and 1966 is not one of the great vintages. But still, the few Mosel i tasted from 1966 were good