TN: 1947 Claret

1947 Chateau Lamargelle: St Estephe, Bordeaux

With a dusting of snow on the ground in London, I fancied a fully mature red with Sunday luncheon. I had stood this bottle 24 hours earlier. I had been looking forward to trying this bottle for a while, so was naturally excited. It is not very often that I find the opportunity to drink, not just taste, a wine such as this from a legendary vintage.

The full level was mid shoulder, not usual for a wine this age. Despite my efforts with my Durand, the bottom part of the cork crumbles into the bottle. I took a quick decision to decant the bottle into a clean rectangular decanter used for spirits to minimise oxygen exposure. The first thing I notice is the relatively dark colour, a deep strawberry red with a brick rim. The nose gives me subtle aromas of cooked meats and spices, all intermingled effortlessly. I find a hint of mint, or it is my imagination? The mouthfeel is velvet smooth, dry, savoury. The length is respectable, my smile is broad. Luck was on my side today as with bottles of this age, you just don’t know. The David Bowie RIP vintage delivers yet again, even after all these years.

Sounds wonderful.

I very much enjoy reading your notes. You always have the most interesting (and obscure) wines! If I may ask, where did you find such treasures?

Yiasou Angelo, and thank you. I buy wines from many sources over the years.

Thanks for the TN, Nicos. I always enjoy the sense of drama that you convey–opening old wine is an adventure, isn’t it!

I would have loved a half glass and some quiet time.

Very cool.

I would love some suggestions on sourcing advice for 47 Bordeaux for decent prices. 47 is my old man’s birth year and I have been looking for something for him. Had a mag of Cos at auction go hundreds more than estimates in December…