TN: 1930 Williams & Humbert Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Amoroso Londres

• 1930 Williams & Humbert Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Amoroso Londres - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (7/10/2021)
    Decanted about an hour before service. Color was a clear walnut brown, although there was a fair amount of sediment to be decanted off. On opening, the palate was a lot of caramel with nice acidity and an off-dry level of sweetness.

After an hour, sweetness started coming on with stronger acidity, putting this into the “cream sherry” category, but not super sweet. The scent and flavor of coconut was evident, which is something I’ve never run into before. This made us think that perhaps the wine had originally been sweetened with some sort of fruit juice. Overall, a really nice wine. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Very interesting. Thanks for note.
Was this an auction find?

Amoroso is an old term for a lightly sweetened Oloroso. Usually PX and not generally as sweet as a cream or milk. I’ve had coconut flavors in wood aged fortified wines from new oak.

Yes, picked it up from Christie’s last year.

Eric, that’s a good description for it. It was lightly sweetened. The acidity was higher than I’ve usually encountered in cream or milk, but I’ve not had a cream or milk that was this old.

I’ve not encountered the coconut flavors before, but most old sherries I open are dry and not necessarily aged in new oak.

Yes, who knows what the wood regimen was back then.