TN: 15 Roy Piper, 20 Rivers Marie Purrington, 14 La Chablisienne Preuses, NV Laherte Freres Ultradition

2015 Roy Piper Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/29/2022)
100% Moulds Vineyard fruit…open in bottle for a 4 hrs, then took to dinner. Started out massively blue fruited and tightly structured with saliva sucking tannins…but with air, it magically became more red fruited and softened up wonderfully! Drank SO well with a ribeye…just gorgeous liqueured black cherry, raspberry, kirsch…with some ripe blueberry as well…pretty florals and white pepper barrel spice…graphite dryness…very mouth coating and impressive length. The fruit is SO pure…and with that air…really seamless balance. Forgot how rare this vintage is…so there goes my only bottle with a little regret. Many more years ahead for this beauty! (96 pts.)

2020 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay Purrington Rued - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/29/2022)
Not as giddy with this one, as I was with the 19, but still a wonderful Chardonnay with pure crystalline orchards fruits, with a slight tropical flair…little more edgy than the 19…crushed rocks and tingly citrus cut poking through the creamy ripeness…has that salted pineapple as the 19…good dose of citrus extract…just needs a few years to polish it up a bit. (93 pts.)

2014 La Chablisienne Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (8/29/2022)
What a SUPER wine to take to the beach! This bottle was firing on all cylinders…rich and creamy GC weight with shimmering gold and green tinge of ocean goodness! Classic crushed oyster shell, sea air, chalky limestone, tart lime…has that wonderful dry extract…little wax…pretty white flower florals…dried honey…SCREAMS Chablis! Killer bottle! (95 pts.)

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Extra Brut Ultradition - France, Champagne (8/29/2022)
These wines are even better when staring at the ocean! So fresh and alive with energy…snappy crisp fruit, sour tart pucker, somewhat fleshy apple, dried pear, and Rainier cherries…slight honey ginger 4.5 dos sweetness balances the extra brut…plush vanilla lees mousse…great salinity of salty crushed minerals…long refreshingly pucker finish. My last note said ‘can’t wait for the beach with this one’…and BOY was it nice! 6-21 dg (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Nice wines, as always Buzz.

1 Like

Great notes Buzz, thanks…

I have a couple of bottles of 2013 Piper Cab that I have been holding on to, I’ll have to open one of them soon to check in. Regarding the La Chablisienne Preuses, I love that vineyard, and 2014 was a great vintage for White Burgundy, wish I had a few of those in my cellar!

3 Likes

La Chablisienne is my go to for Chablis…am I right @alan_weinberg…I usually have cases of their stuff from Petit to GC…but believe it or not…this was my last bottle of La Chablisienne in the cellar! :exploding_head: yeah…I can’t believe it! When cooler temps hit…I will need to remedy that!

2 Likes

I can’t believe it also! You running out? Better run and buy more. Price is going up!

Fwiw, k&l has 2015 grenouilles for $60

1 Like

Nice notes!
Thanks
Just checked and I also only have one bottle of 2015 Roy Piper.
Big Roy Piper fan. Thank goodness I have plenty of 2014 and 2016 forward.

2 Likes

Never had Roy Piper’s wine (or heard of him before joining WB last month) but after seeing so many posts about and by him, I’m going to have to get my hands on some!

1 Like

Big ups on the Laherte Ultradition Extra Brut. This has always been a great wine, but the last couple releases (2018 and 2019 base) have just been killer. Drinks way above its price point and is just a fun, bright, fruity, long, and still complex wine.

Thanks for the notes, you have made me very curious about trying the Roy Piper cab…

Big ups on the Laherte Ultradition Extra Brut. This has always been a great wine, but the last couple releases (2018 and 2019 base) have just been killer. Drinks way above its price point and is just a fun, bright, fruity, long, and still complex wine.

I have some of this which was disgorged 3/22. 2019 base? How do I find out? TIA

I have some of this which was disgorged 3/22. 2019 base? How do I find out? TIA

Yes, it is a 2019 base and it is delicious. As for finding out exactly what base you have, at this point, there is no easy way that I know of unless you contact the winery or can find a review/write-up that mentions the information.

1 Like