TN: 14'PYCM; 07' Roumier

Pierre Yves Colin Morey St Aubin La Pucelle 2014:
Very reductive wine, almost clear on the pour, though more golden with air. Hard to get past the reduction; I don’t quite get the powerful material, rich yellow fruits and minerality I experienced the last time I had this wine. Probably needed a decant, but it was out of coravin as a lead in to the Roumier.

G. Roumier Morey-St.-Denis Clos de la Bussière 2007:
Very pure, classic cool burgundy quaff, with surprising acidity for the vintage. Distinctive notes of briar and perhaps cranberry emerge in mid-palate as wine heads for a long, but lean finish, without any trace of detectable oak. Surprisingly ascetic wine for an ’07, but stunning in a quiet way—probably will give more with more time. Sad that I can no longer source these at <$100.

Interesting data point on the PYCM. I bought some of his 2014 St. Aubin Chateniere but hadn’t thought to dig into them for a few more years. I have read about the ‘match stick’ quality in PYCM ‘14s, is this the same as reduction? What were the reductive odors you smelled?

Yes, Rich,

By reduction, I mean very strong burnt match/flint–perhaps I am wrong about the term? I know there have been a lot of threads on this. But whatever the source, it is there and seems more marked than in previous bottles.