TN: 01 Judd's Hill 'Estate' [Napa]

01 Judd’s Hill ‘Estate’ [Napa] 14.1% abv. This seems to be titled as a Napa Valley Red wine, rather than as a varietal, but the label states its a blend of a CS, merlot and CF. It tastes like a CA cab/meritage to me, and its good, thus my note. (I had the 92 & 93 CS over the summer, and my samples were functional, but not a real pleasure, although I suspect they were stored upright, because of their weird cork condition) The SO wanted martinis last night, and I had the taste for Napa, so I pulled this assuming that if I had to toss some, it wouldn’t be a big deal. Perfect cork, and lots of sediment in the bottle, although most stayed in there. The 2001 was way better than other prior vintages – and it improved over 24 hours. Big chewy husky texture, with some lightening at the edges and fennel/licorice in the nose, and after that, lots of classic North Coast plummy flavors. I’d not heard of this smaller estate/producer before this year, but this bottle redeemed other experiences. There is good density of flavor, but its not complex, and it feels low acid. No big deal, its still more than adequate for my stuffed omelets. A B+ grade, even from a Francophile palate.

The 1993 vintage is stellar, especially at just $10 per bottle recently.

Victor - I have been meaning to thank you for that tip.

I bought 6 maybe 6 months ago. 2 have been fantastic, 2 not so much and I am looking forward to trying the last two in the coming year. One of the best QPR’s for a long time! Thanks again and wishing you many more fantastic finds in 2017! champagne.gif

Thank you.
Of the fifteen bottles which I have shared so far, none has been a dud.
Early-1990’s California cabernet is gold.

Thanks for the note, Arv.

I am curious: was the cork depressed or protruding from the bottle mouth?

cork conditions

2001: just fine
1992: dry, crumbly, cored out on extraction
1993: same as above

None were protruding/depressed. Fills were fine too.

Not something one could have identified ahead of time, I think.

Most of the early 1990’s California cabernet sauvignon and merlot wines which I enjoy have very dry corks now.