Three Days of Glory and Burgundy/Pinot Noir

My wife and I visited some friends Friday night for an impromptu offline to watch the Burgundy documentary “Three Days of Glory”. Excellent documentary which I would recommend. Our friends just purchased an Uuni so they made some homemade pizzas before the movie. We started with a Champagne by Pierre Paillard but I did not take notes. We decided to pair the movie with some Burgundy wines and various other Pinot Noir from the US. Here are my notes:

• 2018 Haven Pointe Vineyard Pinot Noir Rosé Clone 115 - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (4/7/2019).
    From 375ml. No score since this wine is from my vineyard but I think everyone enjoyed it.
  • 2003 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (4/7/2019)
    After a half dozen bottles of this wine, this bottle finally lived up to its potential. No oxidation which I had noticed in some previous bottles. This estate owns just over 10 acres in the highest section of the Le Clos vineyard. Le Clos is one of the most highly regarded Grand Crus in Chablis. Popped and poured. Deep clear yellow color. Creamy with butterscotch and ripe apple notes. Velvety finish with great depth. 94 points.
  • 2011 Soliste Cellars Pinot Noir Foret - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/7/2019)
    Opened by LostVerse. Sourced from the steep Guidicci Vineyard near Occidental which is 6 miles from the Pacific. 100% Pinot Noir Clone 23 (Mariafeld). 50% whole cluster pressing. Not decanted. Dark red color. Aromas of pine and spices. A well rounded wine with black cherry, herbal and plum notes. Drinking very well. 94 points.
  • 2007 Roar Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/7/2019)
    This bottle was a gift. The only other vintage of this wine that I’ve had was the 2001 and this 2007 was superior to that bottle. This was drinking very well. Not decanted. Crimson color. Still has a rather fruity profile after 12 years with cherry and raspberry notes. Very bright with sold acidity. Well rounded finish with a touch of oak. 91-92 points.
  • 2010 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/7/2019)
    Opened by LostVerse. A consistently fine Pinot Noir (I’ve had the 2007 and 2009 vintages before). 18 months in oak. Firm tannins with an oaky backbone. Notes of earthy fruit, sweet red berries and leather. Silky finish. 92 points.
  • 2004 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves Vigne de L’Enfant Jesus - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (4/7/2019)
    From 375ml. About the 10th time I have had this wine. I was able to buy about 12 375ml bottles on closeout for $8 each back in 2007. Not decanted. Brickish red color. Moderately sedimented. So different than any of the other Pinot’s we drank that night. Wet earth, smoky black fruit and dark chocolate notes. Gritty old world finish. 90-91 points.

VM

Thanks for the notes - I forgot this documentary was on my list. Need to watch this!