Thoughts on 1986 Bordeaux?

Agreed. Three or four years ago I got some great buys on LLC and Pichon Lalande from 1975.

+1

Had '86 Margaux and lalande this year. Margaux was rather dense and hard, without the elegance one would expect from ch Margaux. Lalande was typical of lalande, plenty of fruit but very youthful and tannic. I’m more optimistic with lalande than Margaux, but it’s probably a decade away from reaching a mature plateaux phase.
I’ve had leoville Barton and ducru in the past few years and found both tannic, dry, and disappointing.

1986 Mouton is still the best young Bordeaux I have ever tasted! Only problem was it was 14 years old the first time I had it. Who knows when it will mature - I hope I’m still alive to enjoy it! I’m generally not a fan of the Cordier funk but I did have good luck with several bottles of 86GL. I have a case of the 86 Cos but it still is a bit of an rusty anvil of a wine IMHO. 86 LLC was impenetrable the last time I drank it (some two years ago). Got to go with - not my favorite year but it did produce a legendary wine (Mouton).

Last had that vintage in 2009, mostly super seconds. Lalande and Les Cases were, to my palate, just gorgeous. Cos still had some edges, but very nice. Sociando was gone, Meyney was on its way behind it.

I also don’t agree with the “too astringent” label.