Thirsty Thursdays: Roulot, Dauvissat, Denis Mugneret, Groffier

Had a wonderful dinner last night at Vertical Wine Bistro in Pasadena. Thursdays-Saturdays they have an amazing chilled seafood tower that is so well priced I am certain they lose money on it.

It’s one of the few places in town where you can get excellent langoustines. The rock crab was probably one of the best I’ve had.

• 2012 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/19/2015)
    Outstanding. Flint and sulfur on the nose initially. The rich fruit underneath is supported by such precision and balance. Very long finish. Roulot is Roulot.
  • 2013 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/19/2015)
    Good from the get go. Plenty of tension and chablis minerality. However the fruit is very rich and on the palate quite generous. This almost tastes like a white burg. Not as good as the 2012 Roulot Porusot alongside it but very much held its own. Probably the my favorite Dauvissat to date.
  • 1996 Denis Mugneret Père et Fils Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (6/19/2015)
    Somewhat disjointed at first. With air, this really fleshed out. Much dirtier on the nose than the 98. On the palate much richer with more weight than the 98 but also not as clean. Could become something really good if the funkiness doesn’t worsen with time.
  • 1998 Denis Mugneret Père et Fils Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (6/19/2015)
    Showed well from the beginning. Bright cherry fruit, plenty of structure. Good length. Very clean and certainly power without weight. This is one of the better 98s I’ve had and this one has room to grow.
  • 2005 Domaine Robert Groffier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (6/19/2015)
    Outstanding bouquet. So complex with fruit, spice, and some floral notes. The palate is quite primary. Generous dark fruit, some oak. Not showing much now but the nose is stellar.

Posted from CellarTracker
image.jpg

Sounds like a great time gents. The roulot and langoustine/stonecrab combo must’ve been rockin.

Ed, both were really good! It’s a bit far from HB but worth the uber ride up if you want to give it a shot when you’re in town.

Yeah edson! I live super close to it, would also join in :smiley:

Thanks for the invite guys. . . just cuz I live in OC? Geez . . .

Good set of wines. Did you find the Groffier a bit cloudy or less transparent compared to others?

not at all. It was pure on the palate, it wasn’t big (obviously since a bit closed) but no issues you speak of.

I didn’t set it up ;p

Man nothing I love more than shellfish and white burg. mmmm mmmm good.

stone crab had to be frozen. How was it ?

Oops. My bad Nick. Rock crab. Not frozen and utterly delicious with plenty of that crab mustard in the middle.

Erick needs to hurry up and post his photos so I can show them! Ha

er…Fred, though Chablis is a separate wine area within Burgundy (as are many others) it is indeed based largely on the chardonnay grape and is a “white burg”.

FWIW, I’ve always looked at it as part of Burgundy, too, though not the Cote de Beaune. Maybe somewhat of an outpost, but…

And FWIW, I have never experienced a better, consistently great WB/Chablis than Dauvissat’s “Les Preuses”…all about finesse and pleasure…and intellectual allure…when given the time to age “enough”.

You know, it’s just a shame when langoustines are consumed so young.

Hahahahahaha