Thierry Allemand - crazy auction prices

In a “hey if it’s not too much for the hookers, it’s not too much for the wine” kinda way? or “holy crap gotta save my money for the hookers” kinda way?
:wink:

Yes, crazy … and I love Allemand.

Wasn’t that you with the Selosse too? Troublemaker.

Is this Kermit (successfully) spinning up another cult (like Coche-Dury?).

Did have a 2001 Allemand Cornas a couple of months back that was gorgeous, however…

neener [truce.gif] How was the trip to France? Or are you still there now?

It was great. We had two really fine meals with Selosse Champagnes at Les Avisés, and some fun times in lesser places. After my wife left I had a cool business dinner involving a 180 Euro 2005 Rayas :slight_smile:

At an auction in Germany, two bottles of 2006 Allemand Chaillots just sold for 85 Euros + 10% buyers premium. No big hype for this producer over here. My 2011 Chaillots and Reynards were around 55 Euros / bt. average (the Reynards a bit more expensive than the Chaillots). Why are the prices for Allemand in the US so high?

Kermit lynch-
I went to buy my normal allocation and was told it was all sold out, this after last year buying multiple back vintages from the distributor.

Because you Europeans don’t understand how valuable these wines are!

The problem is that Europeans all have American palates so they don’t understand the greatness of Allemand. Fortunately all the Americans have European palates and can therefore appreciate them.

Interesting to note that Allemand is now costing more at auction than one can get Gugal La La wines at retail.

The geeks win (or lose).

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is the Kermit cult-spin all over again, which he used also with Raveneau… The prices for Raveneau are reasonable (more or less) in Europe, through the roof here in the USA.

I somewhat agree with your assessment. A wine shop who gets this in through the gray market recently told me that they will not be getting anymore starting 2012 because they are being more strict with US exports of this wine.

In addition, the Parker scores for Northern Rhone starting 2009 also catapulted the prices through the roof, Clape used to be $65 just a few years ago!!!

Fine. If it is really that crazy, then here, I will sell mine:

I don’t think Parker/WA even reviewed Allemand until recently. Now it’s on the radar.

I blame Lyle. He blabbed about how great the wines are on the Squires board some years back. They had been on my shhh list along with, REDACTED, REDACTED, and REDACTED.

Fixed it for you, Jay.

Umm, yes! That’s right, thems the wines. Yes, they sure are.

Did you miss out on that bottle of 1995 Reynards I brought to the jeebus back in 2000? Dressner did tend to bogart the Allemand.

I don’t remember that. I do remember the 2 bottles of 1994 Allemand you brought to Inside. That’s how I was first introduced to the producer.

Marc Hanes opened 1995 Reynards in the cellar last year that was stunning.