The Wine Advocate no Longer Covers Chinese Wines?

First, congratulations to William Kelley on his new position as Editor in Chief of TWA. I find in the news page that there is no China in the ‘Wine Regions Coverage’ sector at the bottom of the article.

Evolution of The Wine Advocate Editorial Team

The ‘Reviewer Team’ page of TWA also seems to have removed Edward Ragg and Chinese wines that he is responsible for from its website.

OUR REVIEWER TEAM

I wonder if TWA no longer reports and reviews Chinese wines.

I don’t know the answer, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Michelin has shifted it’s business model away from Asia since acquiring 100% of WA in 2019. The prior owners were based in Singapore and appeared to be focusing on Asia for revenue. (Michelin first purchased a 40% stake in 2017.)

Chinese wine imports have fallen sharply in recent years, so there’s probably less demand in China for WB events, and there is very little interest outside of China for Chinese wines, so I’m not surprised if they’re dropping this coverage.

2 Likes

Perhaps these folks were collateral damage from that decision

https://www.reddit.com/r/wine/s/7MX5Zebg3p

I’ve shared that link in other threads but it really captures so much of modern wine promoters

I wonder what his stock portfolio looks like.

Really make sense. China’s market experienced shrinking in past few years both in volume and price level. Price inversion discouraged importers from buying new release.

I think there is still demand for an event held by famous institutions like TWA. At least I would feel excited if given chance to meet some critics. Last month there was an Egon Muller event which the weingut’s owner attended in Shanghai. Tickets had sold out even before the event was publicly declared…

Ao Yun’s price sees no increase since its first vintage. Maybe LVMH’s strategy. Back in 2015, it’s the most expensive one, but at this moment there are quite a few Chinese wines that are priced more highly, among which the most luxurious ‘Bao Zhuang Sulu Heritage de L’Himalaya’ is over 2,000 USD per btl. I was shocked when I heard the price…

Hi Jerry,

For clarity, our reviewer page now only features full-time salaried members of our reviewing staff. Edward has been contributing his reports on a freelance basis. This decision has no bearing on our coverage of Chinese wines.

Had you inquired of us directly, that’s the reply you’d have received…

Thanks for your detailed reply, and congrats for your promotion! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Speculation is half the joy of this forum, that and complaining.

Don’t forget speculative complaining — kvetching about problems that don’t yet exist. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes