The Stream of Consciousness Wine Thread - or, a wine thread about nothing

I was going through tasting notes of a large industry event and I found one that put a smile to my face.

It read; “why the fuck is this made”

It was written for a bottle of Colet-Navazos Extra Brut Reserva. For those of you who don’t know that a partnership between Sergi Colet and Equipo Navazos.
Traditonal Method sparkling wine made with Flor and sherry grapes.

Here is an excerpt from the importer’s page.
_"The first contacts between Sergi Colet and the members of Equipo Navazos took place in 2003, and by 2005 a collaboration was under consideration with the goal of making sparkling wines in the Jerez. As odd as the collaboration might seem there are remarkable similarities between the biologic aging that takes place in a sherry butt and the biologic aging that occurs in a bottle of sparkling wine. Furthermore both Jerez and the finest sparkling wines are grown in regions renown for their chalky soils and fairly neutral base wines. Finally there was a mutual curiosity about using different styles of Sherry as the dosage in Sparkling wine – how would these additions change the profile of the finished wines?

Based on these mutual interest Sergi Colet and Equipo Navazos began experimenting and conducting trial runs with the eventual end point of producing a sparkling wine in Jerez, from Palomino Fino grown on Albariza, and aged and fermented with the native ambient flor yeasts. The wines are currently aging with no release date on the horizon. In the meantime Colet-Navazos has been exploring how secondary fermentation with flor and dosage with fortified wines from Jerez, Montilla and Sanlucar could impact the sparkling wines from Sergi’s native Penedés. The result is sparkling wines under the appellation Penedés produced according to the traditional (champenoise) method of secondary fermentation in bottle, starting with base wines sourced from Colet vineyards, mainly Xarel-lo. The southern presence is felt in the secondary fermentation and especially in the use of different dosage wines."_

Tonight I opened a bottle of industrial Bordeaux. By the way,. I’ve never had a bottle of Caymus S.S.

I finished a JUG Carlo Rossi burgundy this past weekend.
I bought it weeks ago thinking it would provide some nostalgia from my childhood when my grandparents gave me a taste of wine on holiday dinners.
It didn’t. It wasn’t undrinkable but not the dry wine I remember, and seems to have more residual sugar. I kept it refrigerated and poured a glass every so often in honor of gramps and grams [snort.gif]

I cut my finger on the wine foil tonight. Owwie!

Reminds me of Sept. 16, 1992…

Thanks for starting this thread Robert. I’ve been meaning to ask if anyone has seen my Durant. I left it at that big event dinner in NY.

Anton, you managed to … make that post successfully. We can all … read it. Isn’t that something?

In Old Low Norse, it’s a poem.

Awesome! Solid stream, sir.

I never want to buy wines that are named after their region. Chateau de Puligny Montrachet. Willamette Valley Winery. Santa Barbara Winery. Somehow it just sounds cheap and generic to me.

Okay, I guess I arbitrarily don’t apply that feeling to Chateau Margaux, though I’ve never actually bought a bottle of that.

Why do we bother cutting off a foil when you can (75% of the time) just twist and pull the entire thing off?

Seek out some 1991-94.

That’s exactly what I do.

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti?

It’s a fair point. For whatever reason, I actually like using the foil cutter (the kind you squeeze and twist).

I don’t like having to cut the foil with the little curved knife thing on the corkscrew, so if I’m left to that, I often do your method.

I never buy that either. :slight_smile:

Capsules were effective barriers against insects and vermin starting in the 18th century.
Their use/need today?

There has to be something artful I can do with all our wine bottles. And then sell the art for a huge profit. And then buy more wine. Rinse and repeat.

Ah, yes, the wonderful day Nick Jonas came into being.

[wink.gif]