The Stout Thread...

Had this one recently and really enjoyed it. I put it in the top 4 or 5 so far.

Tried this Young’s Double Chocolate Stout yesterday. If you like Chocolate Stout, then you’d probably really enjoy this.

This was pretty nice as well. I like that it comes in small bottles instead of the giant pint + 6oz bottles that are used for a lot of these special crafted beers.

Actually I don’t make a Stout but I do make a Schwarzbier, which is similar. The Old Rasputin is excellent.

Tried a Lion Stout (made in Sri Lanka) today. Not very good… :frowning:

I’ll second the mentions of St Peter’s Cream Stout (great if you like the smooth, lower alcohol UK style) and North Coast Old Rasputin (great if you like the big, in your face US style). I also really enjoy the Victory Storm King Stout for the bigger, US style; it’s not quite as bitter as the Rasputin and the hops come across a little differently. I actually slightly prefer it although they are two different beers. My favorite in a while is the Hook Norton Double Stout from England. It is the UK, lower alcohol style, but so complex and long on the palate while maintaining the smooth deliciousness that makes it easy to drink. Fantastic stuff. My palate is leaning more towards UK and German beer lately, but I think anyone who likes stout would enjoy the Hook Norton.

Doug,

Good call on the Storm King - that’s another great one. I was surprised to see you calling the Old Rasputin more bitter – I find the Stoorm King to be more bitter than the Old Rasputin. Either way, they are very similar, and both present a formidable opponent for any cold evening!

Brian, that’s interesting. Have you had them side by side? The Storm King tastes hoppier to me but I don’t sense the bitterness as much, if that makes any sense. Anyway, we can agree that both are very good.

I haven’t tasted them side by side but now I am curious to do so. I know a local joint sells both by the bottle, so I’ll conduct this experiment soon. I’m not afraid of changing my mind (that’s a passive way of admitting I was wrong [wink.gif] ), so I may ultimately agree with you! My comment was based on memory of drinking each a good handful of times.

Add this one to the ‘very tasty’ list.

Deschutes Brewery Obsidian Stout

I am a big coffee stout guy, but the Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout was just ok. My faves so far:

Great Divide Oak-Aged Espresso Yeti Stout
Bell’s Java Stout
Terrapin Wake-and-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Terrapin Depth Charge Midnight Project
Founders Breakfast Stout
The Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is interesting - aged in bourbon barrels. A little too much alcohol for my taste though.

scott,
every time i see that you posted in the stout thread i open it up, hoping to see that you’ve tasted the Alesmith Speedway Stout … why do you keep disappointing me?!?

Because you haven’t SENT ME ANY!!! neener

He he he. I hope I run into it one day - sounds delicious. Oh, I also forgot I like the Duck-Rabbit milk stout, and today I picked up the Bells Double Cream stout. Looking forward to trying that one.

Just based on the name, that does not sound appealing.

That’s what I said!!! But it was very nice.

Speaking of not sounding good, I was given a bottle of Exit 1 Bayshore Oyster Stout - a stout made with oysters. Weird. But…I must say, it was a good beer. Some reviews said if you let it get warm you taste salt water…but I didn’t let that happen.

I should remember to post my notes on Speedway Stout…
and Black Ops…

Jay,
I believe you are talking about Brazen Head. Did you try any other places while there? Mulligan’s, Long Hall, Kehoe’s, Cassidy’s for example.

picked up the first Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary beer yesterday…stout brewed in collaboration with Fritz Maytag of Anchor Brewing…can’t wait to try it

http://www.sierra30.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drank a Deschutes The Abyss last night. Fantastic stout. Deschutes makes some great beers, and this has to be at or near the top.

I have never seen a Speedway here, but sounds like I need to keep it in mind.

Very nice, Jeff! Do you remember what year it was brewed? I’ve got two from 08…wondering how they’d taste right now.