The Stout Thread...

I have a bottle of St. Peter’s Cream Stout to try as well and also a bottle of the Rogue Chocolate Stout. We’ll see if either of those measure up.

All this talk here got me craving a beer, so I decided to try one of these stouts.

I got the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout as well (had to go with my boy Brian’s recommendation, he hasn’t led me wrong yet!). I am not a huge stout guy, but this was really complex and flavorful. Full of roasted nuts and cocoa, but was surprisingly medium to light bodied and very smooth and creamy. Very seasonal as well as I felt like there was some peppermint and fruitiness in there as well.

As much as I liked it, I still can’t see myself ever really thinking, “Man, I need one of these!”. Like I might when I feel like a Belgian or IPA.

I hate to sound like a lover of white zinfandel, but the best stout I ever had (and I’ve had everything pictured here except for the coco-nut) was a Guiness on tap at the oldest operating pub in Ireland, which is in Dublin down the hill from the Brewery. I think they just roll the barrels down the hill and tap them so the heads are well mixed and really creamy. But you have to fly there to get it fresh.

When I lived in Ireland I always chose Beamish over Guinness if the pub carried both. Still, they are both very nice when you go to the source! :slight_smile:

Not quite a stout, but I sure am enjoying this Heater Allen, Sandy Paws Dark Lager- stout like aromas and flavor yet with a bottom fermented lager flavor, very nice- and made by one of our own board members, Rick Allen. [welldone.gif]

Beer is always better fresh and on tap. It’s amazing how different a favorite beer can taste bottle vs tap. The first time I had a Pilsner Urquell on tap was about 5 years ago, and as much as I love it in the bottle, on tap it was mind blowing.
Have you guys ever tried nitro (tap, not can) or hand pump beers? Also very different and a wonderful experience.

i’ll be the contrary asshole here … this is not true. some beers get better with age (gueuze with a little bit of age, imperial stouts improve greatly with a couple years on 'em, etc…)

… hand pump beers?

Hand pump = delicious. This is the real way to serve ale from a keg.
[thumbs-up.gif]

I’ve crossed a couple more Stouts off the “try” list.

“Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodite”, made in Quebec, Canada. ( Home - comoelaborarcerveza.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

• This is a Stout made with cocoa and vanilla beans. Not exactly what I was looking for but pretty tasty. However, way too expensive at $6 for a small bottle. (not even the full pint size)

St. Peter’s Cream Stout

This was very nice. Smooth, balanced and no bitter aftertaste. On par with the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

I’ve got a whole bunch more to get through… Next up is the Rogue Chocolate Stout.

http://www.rogue.com/beers/chocolate-stout.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn’t care much for the Rogue Chocolate Stout. Just a little too bitter on the finish and the chocolate is really only prevalent on the nose more then anything.

I’m with you on the Rogue: it has an angular finish that never seems to come together (in my opinion). That St Peter’s stout is a bargain bottle!

I’m about to open a bottle of Brasserie de la Senne Stouterik and will post notes later.

You’re not an asshole if you’re right hahahah
We had the Cantillon guys in the shop, so our “beer guy” brought in a 20year old bottle of gueuze from his personal cellar. Not only was it brilliant, but the Cantillon brewer had a great quote: “Oh yeah, my father definitely made this. I was playing with tinker toys.”

oooh … I’m jealous!! what was it like? I have a bottle of their Fou Founne on hold for me right now … just drank an ‘06 Lou Pepe a couple weeks ago … the Lou Pepe was tasty, but probably not worth the $30, when compared to other gueuzes of similar quality.

It was like sour dishwater.

I’m kidding! It was incredibly complex and delicious, but quickly lost its charming fruit and turned into a basic sour after 10 minutes. I did have a Panil Reserve recently that might do the trick a decade or two down the road. I’ll probably sock away a handful of 750mls.

Cool… look forward to the notes…

I still have another 7 or 8 different Stout in the beer fridge to try over the next few weeks. I’ll post notes as I try them.

Had a LeftHand Milk Stout last night. It was the best cappuccino I’ve ever tasted.

Belhaven Scottish Stout

There’s really nothing special about this beer. It’s perhaps slightly sweeter then other Stout I’ve tried but there isn’t much of a finish and what’s there is slightly bitter. Just “ok”

So far, after about 6 or 7 different Stouts I’ve tried in the last few weeks, I still prefer the St. Peter’s Cream Stout and the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

So far my favorite stout is the North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. I have not found with the intensity of flavors.

Seek out Heater Allen’s stout when you are back in Oregon. Excellent stout the last time I was in McMinneville eating in the back bar area of Nick’s restaurant. One of the best QPR meals I’ve had to date.

I have one of these out in the beer fridge… Will try it soon.

Having the Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout right now.
I’m not a huge fan of it, but I did have the Left Hand Fade To Black last night and really enjoyed it. I would recommend seeking out the Left Hand.