The perfect red wine glass?

Frank - helpful. Just curious, do you have a sense of dimensions between the GGG, SW Essential (recognize you don’t have the red)? Frankly am debating now between GGG, SW, or SW+SW Red, or just the SW Red. Difficult to try in person. I have a single GGG coming Wednesday from Amazon to look at/return, but can’t really do that with the SWs as easily (although I may just do that as well). I predominately drink reds, and favor Burgundy and Barolo.

Frankly am debating now between GGG, SW, or SW+SW Red, or just the SW Red

I have all in my home. What do you specifically wish to know?

Zalto universal

Sh@an, I like the GGG a lot, but find it a bit small for wines that I’d ordinarily want to pour into a large bowl, like barolo. It will work fine in the GGG though, especially if you are okay with smaller pours.

In terms of Zaltos, I use the Bordeaux stem the most and find it to be the most “universal” of their offerings because it is large, but not as huge as the Burgundy stem (which I still pull out once in a while for special bottles).

Which one I should buy, liking smaller form factors but drinking mainly burgs and barolos

I’m genetically incapable of posting a photo here - would you like me to take side by sides of GGG / SW / Zalto / ?

I can email them to you if you PM me your email address or just email me cfreemott at mac dot com

well thank you! I imagine posting them on the forum for everyone’s benefit would be great!

I will tell you, the SW “Burgundy”, which they call “The Red”, is considerably smaller than the Z Burgundy. Personally, I like that stem much better than the Zalto. I would also say if you’re drinking burg and barolo, the SW glass per your smaller form factor request, is the proper choice.

If you can figure out how to post them - go for it. I’m simply a village idiot. LOL

I see you are a veteran around here…so if you are kindly, i would love to “hear” your opinion about the perfect or best (or how you want to call it) red wine glass. What brand do you suggest me to choose and what type of red wine glass?

You (and everyone else) have answered my questions. Thank you! I have enough information to make a decision. Which means I will let the wife decide.

My favs.
Riedel Vinum Burgundy for Pinot and Neb
Riedel Vinum Bordeaux for Shiraz, CS and full bodied reds
Riedel Vinum Chianti for many whites and fragrant reds

These three glasses do it for me. For Chardonnay I just love the Riedel Extreme Chardonnay glass.

Dinu,
Wine glasses are a personal thing in my opinion. One person’s aged burgundy may be great in a Zalto Burgundy or it may fall apart in there due to the surface area.

I don’t think you can be hurt with ANY of the suggestions above. No glass will turn water into wine. And no ‘red’ wine glass exists such that it can feasibly provide a perfect drinking experience throughout the life of the bottle.

First find one you visually like, then hold one empty and then hold one with a proper pour. Balance = function. Then let a pour evolve over a few hours and do so with a competitor’s glass at the same time.

I don’t subscribe to the Riedel model of a stem per grape. That seems silly (though, to their point, highly profitable which I support). Nor do I think a ‘global’ or universal glass, a la Jancis or Gabriel is appropriate. Somewhere in the middle is the right answer but to restate, there is nothing wrong with Zalto, Gabe, Riedel, Sophienwald. It’s how you feel your wines taste in them and what you like.

Note to Mods, WTF? why is posting an image defaulting to landscape?

left to right
Gabriel Gold, SW Essential, SW Red, Z Burgundy
3963D418-C9BF-4CB7-8E75-88637863A15A.jpeg

Great photos! Thank you. They actually have made it more clear to me to go with the SWs over the GGG from a visual standpoint. Only question now is do I get Essential + Reds or Whites + Reds… recognizing don’t have so many whites. Out of all the glasses, the SW Essentials has my favorite shape.

can you name the glasses from left to right please? thx

They are labeled now

FWIW, I use the School Zweisel Air (not Sense) glasses and love them. We break a lot of glasses in our house and I just feel better using a $15 glass. They’re tough, go in the dishwasher, and I think they perform well. I prefer the Zalto – but, given the breakage rate – not 4x as much (or even 2x as much). They make a great Burgundy, white, and Champagne glass too.

I like the GGG and Z Burg

The picture above from Chris Freemott help me a lot to decide which is the perfect or the best red wine glass for me.

If i am right, Zalto Denk’Art Bordeaux Glass is similar with the 3rd glass from left to right (SW RED)

Zalto Bordeaux have 680 ml (23 oz) and SW Red 710 ml (24 oz)…the shape is almost the same…there is such a little difference.

I am sure I will go for Zalto Bordeaux.

Now I understand why so much people choose Zalto Bordeaux( i have seen previously topics like: “What type of glass are you drinking from?”

Thank you for the picture mate.