The past two nights: 2005 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Syrah & 2006 Ridge SCM Cabernet Blend

The arcadian is still my number 1 QPR syrah of the year; for $16 it is damn near impossible to beat. As for the Ridge, I picked it up on a whim. Saw it on closeout at the grocery store today for $25 from $40 so I figured why not. Turned out to be great, classic Ridge and will seek out some more.

• 2005 Arcadian Syrah Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (11/10/2010)
    Nice nose of dark rich fruits, pomegranate, brambly berries, blackberry, maybe a bit of meatiness, some smoke and a bit of minerals. Nice palate with plentiful juicy red fruits, angular tannins, touch of spicy oak and some spice. Medium body, drying tannins and nice acid to carry the wine. Good and starting to put on some more weight with air. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2006 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/11/2010)
    Boy this was a tannin sucker right at opening. Put into a decanter for about an hours worth of air. Nice blood red color on the edges with a black core. Nice lush nose of red and blue fruits, some charcoal, leather, creme de cassis and maybe even some pencil shavings. Creamy raspberries, spice and a hint of oak. Medium body and pretty even all the way through. Decently tannic and drying still. Black and blue fruits, nice heavy dose of up front toasty oak with a decently long finish. This wine is pretty stacked with structure but still loaded with fruit. A bit of smoke, cigar box and more spice all rolled with red fruits. Just needs time and is painfully young. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker