The NBA's Secret Wine Society

If it weren’t for you, I could afford more Reislings.

[soap.gif]

I’d like to know how. Their driveway is like an old streambed.

Can fit the entire team, wives amd coaching staff in one of these.

Alan is actually upset that the new trend towards fine wine precluded him access to magnums of Moet Luminous Imperial.

Some ballers do drink Hennessy

Hennessy is affiliated with NBA players:

And has been publicized as a half-time drink of choice for some:

Though clearly not all players like Hennessy:

White and Black players in the NBA, let’s all avoid us some generalizations and stereotypes, and perhaps let’s all be a little more sensitive and a little better at playing in the same sand box.

Actually, I disagree. Obviously sneakers and wine are different products, with different manufacturing methods, uses, consumption patterns. But at the highest end, either can become a rarefied status symbol that can be sold for much higher than the list price, and made in minute quantities.

I had no idea what a yeezy was until I was at a high end restaurant last year and saw a nearby table where the patrons were conspicuously wearing Yeezys (Yeezies plural? no idea) and conspicuously consuming multiple bottles of surely Dujac-level wine. In any case, I think others’ points are valid in the sense that there’s a trickle down effect in having these very famous athletes getting more into wine, especially not just trophy wines but the more esoteric enthusiast types of wines that many of us love on this board.

Anyway, I thought the article was fascinating. Really interesting to see how these athletes can apply the passion and drive that they have towards basketball, to something like wine, and how they respect others at the top of their field (even if it’s somewhat arbitrary like the master somm designation). The anecdote about Carmelo Anthony and the mag of Dom was telling, you could tell he was competitive and didn’t want to “lose,” and I think all of us can identify with his quest to be more accurate in his tasting descriptors. I grew up a Knicks fan and I’ve hated what’s happened over the past few years to the team, but like Dennis I have to say that I respect him a lot more after reading this.

Regarding d’Angerville:

The premier cru red Burgundy is smooth and graceful but hard to find, made by a small producer that isn’t exactly a household name, a wine some sommeliers Miller knows don’t even know. But it’s excellent, a wine you’d be drinking only if you really knew what you were doing.

Are there really sommeliers out there that don’t know about d’Angerville? I’ve always thought of it as one of the first names to come to mind in Volnay.

I agree that’s a mighty stretch based on that post.

Stuff like that is a serious accusation, and remember that we are using real (user)names here. Don’t weaken the argument for when we really need to call out racism, sexism or other bigotry.

I hope not, though it probably depends on how one defines a sommelier. I imagine, though, that Christopher Miller was simply using hyperbole to illuminate Chris Paul’s sophistication.

I was just being flippant when I threw out Hennessy, but apparently it is in high demand somewhere

“Why Are New Hampshire’s Tax-Free Liquor Stores Selling So Much Hennessy?”

It isn’t clear why Hennessy appears to be the brand of choice for bootleggers, but the price difference between New Hampshire’s bottles and the highly-taxed New York bottles is likely one draw. Also, government officials have offered anecdotal evidence that some of the booze is headed for Chinese restaurants, as well as gentleman’s clubs in the greater New York City region.

“I started hearing anecdotes of people coming in with wads of cash stuffed in their socks,” Volinsky tells New Hampshire Public Radio. “Wads of cash that smell of perfume because on Wednesdays, apparently the strip club owners in New York come over to buy their liquor in bulk, and the office of the liquor store smells from the perfume.”

I like the end part of the article - the component-guessing team building exercise. I’ve been to a few of these at various work events. Funny to think of these NBA guys as just another bunch of corporate grinders having some fun at an off-site.