The Goose, The Goose, The Goose Is On Fire!

So I procure a plump, sensational looking goose and received a small rectangular Weber charcoal barbeque for Christmas…Goose+ Weber barbeque has to = something pretty special doesn’t it? I lacquered the goose with Hoisin lit the barbie then realised the goose would not fit in properly. I changed my plans on the fly and decided to crisp the goose on the Weber, imparting a little smoke and then finish it in the oven. Goose was on the grill, rendering a torrent of fat onto the coals when the whole bird ignited. It was quite windy outside and panic ensued as I reached into the inferno to rescue my beloved bird. As I doused the flames my goose now looked like a carbon dating experiment. A bit of remedial work and time in the oven and I managed to salvage two very nice pieces of breast meat.

Our accompanying wine was the 1986 Faiveley Echezeaux. This is a wine I’ve had the pleasure of tracking over the past 5 years or so and it is absolutely singing. The nose is all forest floor, pine needle sap and earth with a little hoisin. It is sweet and vinous in the mouth with loads of savoury goodness and still quite forceful for a weaker vintage. It is a strong wine that stood up to the richness of the meat and smoky charred (burnt) flavours and is in no danger of declining, in fact it may continue to improve.

Cheers
Jeremy

You don’t need no water let the mother goose burn!

Get a Weber Q - absolutely no flare ups I promise.

Sounds like you needed a smoky pinot after that story. Goose kind of scares me as they are not too common around these parts - southern california, but I am intrigued to try one.
You should post a picture of the flaming bird!

We had a superb goose for Christmas last year, much richer that turkey, with more fat and meat closer to duck, really just superb…

Agree Paul, superb meat with a richness of duck and almost the density of beef. Don’t be afraid of goose Tom, just don’t cook it like I did.
Best Regards
Jeremy

As someone who has cooked a duck on the grill, I knew immediately where this was headed, given that goose throws off a whole lot more fat than duck does (for farmed animals, anyway). In fact, a goose oven-roasted at a high temp will turn out roughly akin to deep-fried, there’s so much fat on the goose. Not a bad thing, really.

LMFAO. [rofl.gif]

I’m not the only one who witnesses theses dining delights, saved by exceptional wines and tasting notes. Of course attention gets turned to the tasting notes of the wine.

Many Faiveley’s start singing after 20 years in the bottle, but… greasy goose definitely needs a great Chablis at my house.

the only time I cooked goose on the grill was with a rotisserie that heated from the back, and I had a pan under the bird to catch the abundant drippings. I didn’t realize it would flame up if cooked à la Jeremy, so I guess I got lucky.
alan

In my very early cooking days I did this to a whole chicken on a rotisserie. Set it out there not realizing I needed low heat and drip pan, the bird and inside the gas grill was fully engulfed.