The Good Ole Days...Winebid Edition...

This thread is painful. > [wow.gif]

yes it is!

While all these great deals are amazing I will never forget the great wine shop known as Big Top in the Twin Cities which ceased to exist in 2020 due to the owners getting out of the business. The best deal to date was the entire line of 2007 Prum wines at $7.00 in the closeout bins. My most memorable wine line was do you have any more? Their response was how many do you want? Me All (7 more cases of Kabinett, Spatlese and Auslese’s.

2 Likes

That’s my memory, as well - nothing sloppy or spoofulated about them whatsoever.

I was thinking that that style should have been able to cellar for decades.

Damn, that is a HELLUVA score!! Love that!!

I did find a few gems back in the days…

2004 Domaine Didier Dagueneau Pouilly Fume Pur Sang $50
1988 Stony Hill White Riesling $20
2001 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Spatlese $20
2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel $70
1986 Chateau Musar $65
1991 Chateau Musar $45
1990 Elk Cove Vineyards Estate Bottled Reserve Pinot Noir $20
1966 Château Les Ormes-de-Pez $40
2002 Domaine Ponsot Charmes Chambertin Cuvee Des Merles $100
2009 Keller Dalsheim Hubacker GG $60
2009 Keller Westhofener Kirchspiel GG $55

It was fun selling too - until that letter from the BATF arrived…

question for people posting these lists of what we (now) consider steals of prices:

at the time, were any of you going “man $40 for Cornas?? wine has gotten expensive!”

Clape may already have been above that, can’t recall. Verset, Allemand and Juge were not sought after the way they are now and I’m thinking they were all $40-ish. I never tried any of them other than Clape back then as Cornas was mostly off of my radar in the early 2000s.

The Gentaz are the jaw droppers in this thread for me, and of course the Burgundies. Though, I also got a lot of off-vintage Chave on Winebid for under $50 back then. I got a 6er of the ‘02 for about $35 per, since 02 was miserable in the Northern (and Southern) Rhone, but those Chaves were fantastic.

2 Likes

I recall buying 2 '83 Chave for around $40 pre-vig back then. I think it was a different auction house though it might have been pre-2003 winebid. They were great.

BATF letter?

Bureau of Alcohol tobacco and firearms.

Sorry if I sound dumb but they sent you a letter for selling on winebid?

Sorry if I sound dumb but they sent you a letter for selling on winebid?

The BATF sent letters to folks who were pretty active on WineCommune as I recall. I’ll bet a Google search would bring up the specifics…

It was fun selling too - until that letter from the BATF arrived…

FedEx and UPS liked the business though prior to that!

oh yes. At the time there was a community forum too, so many of us sellers were able to discuss freely, until Wine Commune shut that down abruptly too. In the end, the letter was a scare tactic to stop person-to-person liquor sales, but the premise was that if you’re selling wine, you must be a licensed reseller, and therefor you also owe us all this money. That was all it took, all sales ended immediately, and that was the end of WC. Was sure fun while it lasted.

My brokerage account does this too. Looks like In 2002 I bought AAPL for $0.42. Wish I bought more.

Likewise most of my early purchases don’t show up other than as dollar amounts. One of my best scores and last purchases on Winebid:

ITEM PRICE
2004 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Champigny [I3129801] $30.00
3 for $90.00
2005 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Champigny [I3129799] $45.00
3 for $135.00
2004 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Champigny Les Poyeux [I3129784] $50.00
3 for $150.00
2005 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Champigny Les Poyeux [I3129782] $65.00
3 for $195.00
Subtotal $570.00
Premium (14%) $79.80
Insurance (1%) $5.70
Total $655.50
12 bottles

Purchased April 4, 2010

All have been in great condition. In 2010 very few on Winebid knew of these wines.

Mic dropped. Haha nice!!!

It was before the Winebid data is showing up, and before I had CT, so I don’t have records, but I’m pretty sure I found some '90 and '91 Gentaz back then for well under $40. I know I paid $40 full retail for the '99 Clape on release, and the '00 was a very cheap $25 from Premier Cru. By the time I was in the wine business, the 2004 was up to about $60 wholesale. 2000 Verset was $25 full retail here in Portland, too.

It was a different time back then, as most wine geeks were hunting the latest “98 point” Napa Cabs, Aussie Fruit Bombs, etc. And for those of us who didn’t care much about those wines you could find all kinds of cool stuff that hadn’t been hyped yet. Back then a $40 wine wasn’t cheap for me, but worth it. And while my salary has increased some over the years, it’s nothing like the price of these wines, so I’ve been priced out of more things than I care to admit. Can all of you go back to chasing Napa Cabs, please? neener