The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Thanks for the Champagne IDs, I have 1-3 waiting to be delivered.

2 Likes

offer made 11/27 on the Barbaresco.
offer made 12/16 on the Champagne.

2 Likes

here ya go: 2016 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello

3 Likes

Any ideas on the single vineyard Barolo mystery? I’m guessing it’s a 2015 but beyond that I have no idea. Under $30 delivered, though, seems like a solid deal regardless…

If I had to fill in a case I’d certainly buy 1-3 bottles. Italy and Bojo are almost faultless Mystery as far as Mystery can go.

1 Like

Anyone else grab some of the Jacquesson 745? Not an insane deal but definitely at least about $10/btl cheaper than most sources I saw online.

I requested some but the confirmation hasn’t come through. He does seem to get some good deals on Champagne, although I stay away from the producers I’ve never heard of / don’t recognize.

Just picked this up and can confirm it’s the 2019 Fontalloro.

2 Likes

I normally do the same but given the state I was in when I read his Christmas Eve Champagne mystery offers, I ended up buying a bottle of 6 of them SMH

Any insights into the current offer?

Tuscany “Grand Cru” - Just Arrived!

Dear Friends,

We’ve offered this wine a few other times (and many times over the prior 20-25 years) and it’s always gone in a flash. A “grand cru” of Tuscany and one of the most famous wines in Italy, this is a cellar centerpiece to build around!

We can’t tell you anything about this wine but, at $39+, it’s what we like to call a “no brainer” (95pts as well).

Not confident on this one. My best guess is Rancia. Price is pretty close to what the 2017 was when I got that as a Mystery wine. But I’d take that with a big grain of salt…

Michael

1 Like

Noticed something for the first time today in the bottom of the offer:

“Holding fees may be assessed (per accrued full case each season) if left in our possession past the close of each shipping season for your region.”

Is this new or did I not notice it before? Anyone been charged yet?

This language first appears in a March 1, 2022 offer.

Standard practice is to send a notice to customers that terms and conditions are changing rather than just slipping new language into the fine print.

But Caveat emptor

1 Like

I actually think that is reasonable; Garagiste has the most generous HTS policies of any (legit) retailer I’ve experienced over the years.

1 Like

Agreed, it’s been very generous and a big reason I like them. Curious to see what happens

1 Like

“Per accrued full case” works for me. I always have them hold partial cases over to the next shipping season, but never have them hold full cases over. Seems reasonable to charge for the latter.

I agree. They can’t provide free long-term storage. They’ve been flexible with me when I haven’t been available to take delivery during a shipping season in the past. I assume this language is there for situation where people are clearly trying to get years worth of storage.

I thought that was always the case but now I can’t find the wording. If you have a full case and you decline shipping for that season they would charge you $x/bottle. If you didn’t have a complete case, they’d hold it for you until you requested, it to be shipped or when you reached a full case.

All of my Garagiste offer emails are filtered into a sub-folder. They go back about a dozen years. I searched for “assessed” in that subfolder and it returned offer emails from today back to March 1, 2022.

Here is some footer text from a Feb. 2022 offer (italics added):

To order: click the name of the item above in blue and follow the easy instructions – simply follow the prompts, enter the number of bottles desired and we’ll do the rest. That’s it!

This parcel is set to arrive the week of February 14th - it is not a long-term pre-arrival. All will ship to you during the first available window and/or with your region’s schedule (weather permitting!). Please check your CHOA (Customer Hang Out Area) for local drive-through pick-up the week of February 21st. Drink: 2022 – 2045+.

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions (56 degrees/70% humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pick up at their leisure.

For current order status information, please log into the Customer Hang-Out area (CHOA):

Here is language from an offer that came today (italics added):

To order: click the name of the item above in blue and follow the easy instructions – simply follow the prompts, enter the number of bottles desired and we’ll do the rest. That’s it!

This parcel is set to arrive in the spring - it is not a long-term pre-arrival. All will ship to you during the first available window and/or with your region’s schedule (weather permitting!). Please check your CHOA (Customer Hang Out Area) for local pick-up in the spring. Drink: 2023 – 2038+

Delivery orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions (56°/70% humidity) until our recommended shipping window for your region. Holding fees may be assessed (per accrued full case each season) if left in our possession past the close of each shipping season for your region. Local pickup orders are requested to be picked up at least quarterly (minimum) and holding fees may be assessed for accrued full cases that have not been picked up within six months of arrival.

For current order status information, please log into the Customer Hang-Out area (CHOA):

That’s a more than fair shipping policy. They pretty much auto ship full cases in their two shipping windows, spring and fall

You would have to elect a hold so I would assume at that time they would assess the fee. They don’t do it on partial cases so if you don’t accrue a full case it would sit without charge. Some of their wines stay at prearrival status for a long period, upwards of 6 months. So unless you order a lot, it’s pretty easy to be sitting on a partial case. I sometimes elect to Cowboy ship ( ship outside my normal window or ship less than a full case).