The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

I have also bought them fresh not frozen at a local butcher in Santa Ana. I recall receiving them frozen from Pasturebird but I sent them an email to be sure my memory is correct. Will check back.

Mine also showed up mostly thawed. I’m not very thrilled with having to re-freeze the chicken, but I don’t have much of a choice with the 10 that I ordered. That being said, we roasted one of them yesterday and it was fantastic. Hopefully the re-freeze doesn’t hurt the rest of them too much.

Yeah, we had one last night and it was ridiculously good. I think they might cook slightly faster than the chickens I’m used to - we’re going to cook another one tonight, freeze one, and hand another off to a friend. Pasturebird got back to me this morning and said that they were fine to refreeze.

Mine just arrived. Not frozen but at least cold. Oh well. I’m going to cook one and freeze the other 3.

Mine were still frozen. Thawed one for dinner tonight.

We will see.

George

I cooked my first Pasture Bird on the BGE tonight. Super-duper-tasty. About as good as any chicken I’ve cooked.

The ‘09 Faiveley Chambolle ‘La Combe d’Orveau’ opened alongside is phenomenal and drinking very well in its youth. Intense, layered fruit yet surprisingly lithe for the vintage.

The best lamb I have had that seems to be commercially available is from Border Springs in Virginia. Not sure where they sell but I can get it locally from Inland. About Border Springs Farm

Trying Martin’s recipe with Sarah’s recommended Elysian Fields lamb which was beautiful when it arrived; I had never mail ordered lamb and thought it was pretty cool that they would wrap the ends of the bones to prevent puncturing the bag, as well as pre-tie them with butchers twine.

elysian-fields-lamb.jpg

Please report back! I love their lamb.

D’artagnan has a one day 20% off chicken, includes the six pack of green circle chicken. Guess I am close enough, shipping is only $15. Discount code is: chicken

Last night I cooked one of the unfrozen-on-arrival-but-then-refrozen Pasturebird chickens. Still delicious. But on reflection my local farm’s pasture chickens are just as good. So I’ll probably stick with them.

had a green circle heritage couple nights ago. Awesome.

We’ve been eating Elysian for a couple of years. No need to shop elsewhere.

Meatnbone out of Miami has really good pork and beef. They have several cuts of Iberico pork from Spain - just amazing. They are also an authority on picanha - sourcing A5 Miyazaki, Aus 8-9 wagyu, Uruguayan grass fed, USDA prime. Highly recommended.

They deliver for free to Cranford on Fridays if you purchase at least $150.

https://cooksventure.com/ These are great chickens.Their videos are interesting and they are having a sale with free shipping now.

I’ve spent the last month in Telluride and we’ve been cooking every night. To stock up, we placed big orders at Flannery and d’Artagnan, as well as some orders at Browne Trading Co. Here are some impressions:

• Flannery steak obviously is phenomenal. We had a ‘Jorge’ California Reserve last night that was off-the-charts good. Great ground beef too.

• Flannery’s pork porterhouses–purchased on sale for pretty cheap–were if anything even better than the steak. Perhaps the best things we’ve eaten all month. Just brilliant.

• The best thing from d’Artagnan were the veal chops. Super-duper tasty. Duck breasts were also very good.

• d’Artagnan Green Circle chickens are good. But they are not better than the Pasture Bird chickens. And honestly, probably my favorite chicken is the pasture-raised chicken from a local farm near Houston.

• A rack of lamb from d’Artagnan was merely okay. My local farm’s lamb, when they have it, is far superior.

• Everything from Browne Trading was first rate. Particularly excellent Halibut and Turbot. Very tasty salmon roe. And honestly the pricing isn’t that bad.

When I return to Houston, I’ll continue to order from Flannery. But I’ll probably stick to my local fishmonger (Blue Horizon Seafood) for fresh seafood, and I’ll continue to buy chicken and lamb locally.

Good call. Their pork is fantastic, and luckily available at the butcher shop a half mile from my house.

Oh yes fantastic. They’re recreating Iberian pata negra in the PNW. Fed hazelnuts!

They sell whole, skin-on pork belly, which a blast to break down and make two slabs of bacon and ends from. Pork chops were spectacular, as well, and how I was initially introduced to them. Both of these cuts were top shelf, imho. If you get ribs, make sure he butchers them right; they did a crap job with my slabs, and sent me two racks with a bunch shiners.